Chapter 1 | La Maladie

Lupiac, France - Fall 1627

My Father fell sick this spring. He hasn't been able to leave his bed. The doctor came to see him, says it's scarlet fever. Charles is staying nearby at a friends house, as he's never had it. I however, battled the illness off when I was 8.

My Father begins to cough violently, and lets out a staggering wheezy breath. I grab the cup from his bedside and help him drink some water.

"Thank you my dear girl. I'm sorry you have to spend your 18th birthday taking care of an old stag like me." He smiles weakly at me.

I help him lay back down, pulling his covers up more to warm him.

"I am exactly where I wish to be. All I want for my birthday is for you to get better." I hold his hand.

"For you, anything." He squeezes my hand lightly and I sit with him till he closes his eyes pressing a cold rag to his forehead and humming.

When I awake the next morning, I'm on the floor of my father's room. All I can hear is the chirping of the birds outside the window. Whats missing is the wheezy of my father's breathing. I quickly sit up, but peer slowly up on the bed, terrified of what i may find.

"Morning." My father grins at me. He's sitting up against the wall of his bed. His face has regained its pink color.

"Father, you look so much better today."

I sit back on the chair at his bedside.

"I feel much better."

"I'll go make you some food, and go fetch Charles from the Cordons." I stand up.

"Thank you, for taking care of me. I know you're 18 now, but you will always be my little girl."

I kiss his cheek and hug him.

After I fix him up some breakfast and help him eat, I make my way out past our farm and through the fields. I see the Cordons house, and my heart starts thrumming. I was excited to see my brother again sure, but I knew he would be there, Frederick Cordon. I've had a crush on him since we were 8. He would always run over to our farm to play with Me and Charles. But as Charles grew older, Frederick thought he had to aswell and started shadowing him. My father had taught him some combat fighting aswell, so he became a great sparring partner.

"Daria." I heard Charles say as I walked up to him. He was sitting on their porch, sketching in journal. He looked grim and tired. "Is he...it's father..." he didn't want to finish his sentence.

I shake my head and pull him into a hug.

"He's over the worst of it. He'll be good as new in a day or two."

He smiles and spins me around in the arm before settling me back on the ground.

"I have to go tell Mr and Mrs Cordon. Let me go pack and speak with them and I'll be home!" He runs into the house gleefully.

"Well if it isn't little Dari."

I still. The voice from behind me, sends goosebumps down my arm. I turn and look down over the edge of the porch. Frederick peers up at me with his perfect smile. He did everything perfect.