Chapter 8 | Règles

"Please sit down, I'm sure you're restless after your long trip." Our Aunt Adria sits back down.

Charles and I each take a seat across from her. A maid comes into and pours us each a cup of Tea. Both of us sit nervously in our chairs. We sit in silence for a few minutes before the rumble of my stomach breaks it.

"Yes. Of course you two must be very famished." She calls in a maid and before long we have two plates of a warm stew in front of us.

As we dig in, our aunt clears her throat.

"Napkin dear." She motions for me to grab the napkin. I do so.

She demonstrates with her own, unfolding it and draping it across her lap. I copy her.

"And you both have hunchbacks, please sit up straight." It's not a request. We obey.

"Lovely. Now you may eat and we can go over the...house rules." She clears her throats.

"Now I have no problem with you both staying here, I could use the company frankly. My husband Ronaldo, is a very established lawyer so his work keeps him from home most of the day. With a high status, every member of this household but uphold a certain appearance. We will go out tommorow to the tailor, so we can find you proper and clean clothing. We get invited to court quite often, so I want you looking your best for them." She curls her nose at our appearance once again.

"Of course Aunt Adria, but there is something you should know." I speak up.

"Yes dear, spit it out."

"I didn't include it in the letters, but well I'm engaged."

She almost laughs in disbelief "What? When? To who?"

"His name is Frederick Cordon. He is a childhood friend, he came here to Paris to join the Cardinals Guard."

Her jaw clamps "Well then, I must meet this Frederick. Does he know you're in town yet?"

"I sent a letter to him not long after we sent you our reply. So I would assume so."

"Never assume darling, be sure. Send for him at the Red Guards training camp. Have him come this Friday 5pm sharp."

I nod my head and dig back into my Soup. She goes back to stating her rules.