Chapter 27 | Une Grande Préoccupation

The next two days of training went quickly, I felt stronger and quicker than ever. Aramis and Porthos had their duties to attended to so I was left to myself most of the time. Two musketeers were assigned to practice with me, but The rest of the men just watched and scowled at me from afar.

I was finishing up my last match, which I won, when I hear a horse gallop into the yard. At first I pay it no attention, the Men were constantly in and out of the Garrison. So I sheathed my sword and used a rag to wipe the sweat from my forehead, but a voice called out my name.

When I look over, I'm met with the same kind smile from the palace corridor.

"You?" I realize I didn't know his name.

"Yes, Me. I hope you're not too dissapointed to see me again"

I can't say I expected to see him again, but it wasn't unwelcome.

"My apologies, I just didn't expect to see you here."

"I too never thought I'd be in these here walls, but i had to see you again."

I raise an eyebrow at his statement and his face reddens. He continues.

"That's to say I had to know more about the potential Woman Musketeer the whole city can't stop talking about. You're a rather hot topic in society."

"Should I be flattered or scared?"

"Neither, or both of you please."

We share a laugh and I throw my rag back on the table.

"So societal gossip brought you here today, Mr...?"

I think he realizes he never told me his name, as he holds out his hand.

"Oh, right. I am Viscount Pierre De Rohan."

I take his hand and give it a sturdy shake.

"Daria La Vielle."

He holds my hand a few seconds longer than necessary, before dropping it.

"It's a pleasure to formally meet you. Would you care to take a walk with me?"

His tone was serious now. I nod and we make our way out of the Garrison.

He waits until we are atleast out of sight of it before he finally speaks up.

"I'm sorry to admit I lied to you, well not completely. You see what I said was mostly true but it's not the real reason I came to find you today. Treville told me you'd be here, and I came as quick as I could manage."

"What's wrong"

"I respect your Musketeers, truly. But I feel they are overlooking something."

"What do you mean?"

He looks around, and pulls me into an alley. He lowers his voice.

"What I am about to say, may sound rather strange. But it may be vital to both the Kings life and the Queen."

"Why are you telling me then? Should you not inform the Red Guards at the very least."

He laughs cruelly.

"They should be the last to know. The Cardinal is who concerns me. It's my belief, he's the one who tries to assassinate the Queen."