Glossary: Medusa

(Notes: I did not compose this page on my own. I just made some edits. This page is only to help the readers understand more who is actually Medusa and what is her history. This page is  obviously not part of the novel. Let's say this is like the glossary). 

Medusa was a famous beast in Ancient Greek mythology, with snakes for hair and a gaze that turned people to stone. In modern times, it would have been troublesome if she had gone to a hair salon because the hairdresser would have turned into a stone every time they tried to fix Medusa's hair (I imagined that in front of every salon, there would be a blocklist sign for her).

How did Medusa change people or anything made of flesh into a stone? Well, simply by staring at the victim. So, if Medusa ever challenged you to a staring contest, don't do it. Otherwise, you will become one of her collections (especially if you're as beautiful as Actress Emma Stone, Korean Singer and Actress Lee Ji Eun, Korean Actress Kim Yoo Jong, or as handsome as me... I mean, like other Hollywood actors whom you can Google).

Medusa was once a beautiful mortal woman who might be fit to walk in Paris Fashion Week. But after the bas **** (censored) Poseidon raped her in Athena's temple, Athena (whom I also considered to be inhuman despite her being one of the main characters), cursed her into the monster with snake hair and a gaze that turned people to stone.

Medusa's story was always associated with the hero Perseus, whom the gods tasked with defeating her as part of his heroic quest. With the aid of Athena and other gods, Perseus successfully slays Medusa by using a mirrored shield to avoid direct eye contact. In my novel, though, Perseus never killed Medusa. I would make a short story about it (someday when I have time and the will to do it).

In mythology, even after her death, Medusa's severed head retained its petrifying power. Perseus later wielded it as a weapon, turning enemies into stone with a glance. Suppose there's a technology to duplicate the power. In that case, it can be a great weapon to defend yourself from criminals (especially if there is a rapist or psychopath, then the law should legalize the use of the technology).

Anyway, that's it for Medusa. I will come back again with a short description of another character.