XLIII: Love at First Coffee

Jhoanna's POV

Sunlight streams through the window of a cozy coffee shop, illuminating rows of mismatched tables and comfy armchairs. My nose is buried in a book as I sit at a corner table. Across the room, I saw a girl with a shock of bright black hair and a mischievous grin, waiting in line, tapping her foot impatiently.

The gentle jazz music plays in the background, punctuated by the rhythmic hiss of the espresso machine. I'm starting to like this place now. 

"Come on, come on... move it along, people! I need caffeine." I heard the girl whispered across the room. 

I glance up from my book, catching the girl's eye. "Rough morning?"

"The worst. Woke up late, spilled my coffee, and now this line..." she frowned which I find cute. 

I chuckled. "The universe is definitely testing you today. Maybe a double shot is in order?" I asked. 

And there, I saw her face lighten up. "You read my mind!"

I gestured to the empty seat of my opposite. "Mind if I steal your thunder and join you in line misery? My book can wait." I smiled at her. She's so pretty! Her kikay look suits her. Parang ang sarap niyang pagsilbihan at patawanin araw araw.

She beamed. "Please do! Misery loves company, especially with a potential coffee savior. I am Stacey by the way, Stacey Aubrey Sevilleja." she joined me as we reach the counter. 

"Whooah! That's a long name. Nice meeting you, Stacey. I am Jhoanna Christine Robles." We ordered  drinks while chatting easily about the day's weather and the overflowing line.

"Look who's talking. You got a long name too." she laughs.

"This is exactly what I needed. Thanks for the company." I told her as I take a sip of my latte.

"Me too. You wouldn't believe the book I just started reading..." Stacey utters.

My eyes widened at the realization. "Is it "The City of Fallen Stars"? I just finished it!"

"No way! It's amazing, right? The ending had me floored." she excitedly replied. 

"Right? I had to stay up all night to see what happened." I told her vigorously. 

Our conversation flows easily, filled with animated discussions about the book's plot twists and favorite characters. We discover a shared love for fantasy novels, obscure indie bands and opms, and rescue cats. 

As the afternoon sun dips lower, casting long shadows across the room, a comfortable silence settles between us.

I smiled sheepishly. "This might be weird, but... I feel like I've known you forever."

"Me too. Like we just picked up where we left off in a past life." she smiled at me. 

"Maybe in a past life we were both warriors fighting dragons." I told her.

And yes, she decided to play along. "Definitely. And you were the fiercer one with that mane of black hair and broad shoulders."

Our eyes met, and suddenly, I felt a spark of something deeper igniting in our gaze.

"So... maybe another time, we can discuss these past lives over dinner? No dragons included, of course." I bravely stated. 

"Sounds like a plan, dragon warrior." she grinned.

Stacey pulled out a pen from her purse and scribbles on a napkin.

"Here's my number. Don't you dare let those dragons kidnap you before we meet again." she told me as if she's threatening my life. 

I took the napkin as I felt a warmth spreading through my chest. 

"Wouldn't dream of it."

We shared a smile, the connection between us no longer subtle, but a promise whispered in the cozy coffee shop.

************

Short au requested by mikhaiah_ :)