Chapter 39

Rhaenyra knew something was wrong, she was in the middle of a feast when she got a good look at Maris. 

She hadn’t spent much time with her while they were in the Eyrie but she could see it now as she looked at her, something was wrong. She wanted to tell her something, Rhaenyra knew it. 

She had tried to excuse herself only to be met with another Lord as she tried to get to her Lady in waiting. See what had happened to cause the look of unease in her eyes. 

Rhaenyra had finally gotten away only to see Maris leaving with Ser Edrick. Rhaenyra furrowed her eyebrows but was brought into another conversation before she could focus on it, It was fine, she would speak with Maris later. 

It wasn’t till later that Sara approached her, confused as she looked around “Where is Maris, she just disappeared?” She asked Rhaenyra quietly as she looked around the dispersing crowd. 

Rhaenyra looked around “I don’t know, I saw her leaving with Ser Edrick but I thought she would be back by now” she said as she placed a protective hand on her babe, something she did when she was nervous. 

When Rhaenyra saw the look in Sara’s eyes she felt her stomach drop. 

“What?! No! She can’t be with him” Sara said, louder than she probably should have. 

Rhaenyra looked at her concerned “What’s going on?” she asked quietly, pulling Sara further from people. 

Sara looked around frantically before shifting towards Rhaenyra and whispering “We saw Ser Edrick beating a maid last night, she can’t be alone with him!” Sara said, fear making her voice shaking slightly. 

Rhaenyra stiffened before immediately turning to a black cloak that had been standing against the wall. She walked directly up to him making him straighten “Find the Lady Maris, Get a few men to look for her. Do not make a panic, if you find her let her know I need her” She ordered quietly. 

Immediately the man nodded and left the hall in search of her lady while motioning for two others to join him.

Rhaenyra led Sara over to the side of the room with less people and had her sit down while they waited. 

Daemon seeing his wife talking to a black cloak before leading her lady to a corner immediately approached. He had been discussing something with one of the kings guard when he saw the worried look on Rhaenyra’s face. 

He immediately approached, the white cloak, Ser Erryk, followed behind him as he gently put his hand on Rhaenyra’s back making her jump. 

“Are you okay?” Daemon whispered into her ear as he kissed the side of her forehead in greeting and to calm the anxiety he could see coming from his heavily pregnant wife. 

Rhaenyra nodded “Yes, I am fine but Maris left with Ser Edrick. Sara says they saw him beating a maid, what do you think a man like that would do if he was rejected?” She said in Valyrian.