Chapter 21

Allicent stood in the window of the Hightower, watching the people walking around Old town. She was standing in a hidden alcove reading Rhaenyra’s raven. 

Her father and uncle would be filled with rage if they knew she was still talking to Rhaenyra but she wouldn’t stop being her friend just to please them, they had proven whose interests they really cared for and it was their own. 

She had finished reading Rhaenrys raven and was just taking a quiet moment to herself where no one could find her, they came so rare nowadays. She both felt incredibly alone and completely suffocated by the pressure her family was heaping on her. 

She was just about to leave her alcove when she heard her uncle and father speaking quietly, they didn't know she was there and she would keep it that way in order not to be faced with their inevitable anger. 

“The Grand measter has failed to weaken the king, Daemon had a healer brought from Essos and now the king's wounds are healing. We were so close. Now we will have to resort to stronger measures” Her uncle whispered angrily to her Father. 

She had to fight to keep from making a sound of shock, were they speaking of treason? With the Grand Maester?! 

“We can not do anything if the king no longer trusts the Grand Maester! We need to get one of our own in the capital” Allicent heard her father whisper back. They were both talking lowly, though she supposes you wouldn’t be speaking of treason loudly. 

“We had one of our own in the capital!” Her uncle snapped loudly causing both men to stiffen before quickly leaving the hall. 

Allicent finally allowed herself to let out a shaky breath as she finnaly deemed it safe, her father and uncle were gone and she could leave. But her feet wouldn’t move, she just stood still in shock as she realized her family was committing treason against the crown. 

Her family, who taught her duty over all else, how was this duty? 

She didn't know how long she stayed in that alcove before eventually stumbling into her room and closing the door behind her. 

She must have sat on her bed for hours just staring before a handmaiden came to get her for supper. She sat through the meal emotionlessly, not saying a word. Her family didn’t even seem to notice her state, they seemed pleased that she had not spoken or done anything during the meal before quietly leaving them. 

It was two nights later when she decided she needed to know more, she had grown up in the Hightower. She knew all the places to hide and to eavesdrop on conversations. 

She put on a dark cloak over her face and hair and made her way through the servant tunnels until she found the ones connected to her uncle's rooms. 

She looked down the hall both ways and made sure no one was present before moving the small brick out of the way so she could hear and see inside her Uncles office.