twenty-seven

An eerie silence fills the room as they all watch her go down in the twelfth minute. They watch as she buries her face in her arms as both Lia and Katie Zelem immediately rush towards her. Silently, Vivianne pushes herself off the sofa and makes her way through to the kitchen feeling unable to even watch anymore.

'Beth, what's going on? What's the thing that Wally's doing?' Courtney asks quietly, the concern clear in her voice as she glances at the blonde.

'She's letting Jonas and the others know that they need to sub Le off now...' Beth replies, her voice filled with emotion as she reaches out to rest her hand on top of Courtney's knee.

'We won't know the full extent of the injury probably for a few days, but this looks bad, Court. It looks like her knee; I can't be 100 percent sure obviously but yeah it doesn't look good.' Beth says softly, gently squeezing the brunette's knee before removing her hand.

'I'm gonna go check on Viv now. Are you going to be okay?' Beth asks glancing at Courtney who is staring at the tv, her eyes flicking back and forth on the screen as she desperately tries to get a glimpse of the blonde as she's being treated by the medics.

'Mm... Go check on Viv.' Courtney says quietly. She leans forward, her elbows resting on her knees as she continues to watch the tv just willing the injury to be less severe than they are all worrying about. Sighing, Beth gets off the sofa and makes her way through to the kitchen.

'Vivi...' Beth says softly as she spots her girlfriend leaning against the worktop.

'How can we be here again with another one?' Viv almost whispers turning to face the blonde who sighs.

'We can't know that it's that.' Beth says and Viv shakes her head.

'We both watched it, Beth. We both seen her reaction.' Viv replies as Beth wraps her arms around her.

'I know... I know.' Beth says quietly.

****

'Amanda... How is she?' Courtney says as she holds the phone up to her ear.

'Not good, love. She's up on crutches at the moment so she's moving around but I just- Yeah it's not good. Are you with Beth and Viv? Did you go watch it with them?' Amanda asks causing Courtney to sigh.

'Yeah, I'm at theirs just now. What are they saying? Do they have any idea what she's done? Is it her knee or leg?' Courtney asks.

'Knee. They think it's her acl, Courtney. She'll need to go for scans but it's a bad one.' Amanda replies.

'Are you with her? C-Can I speak to her?' Courtney asks.

'I'm just outside the medical room... I don't know if she's feeling up for a conversation but I can ask her. Just give me a minute.' Amanda replies.

'No pressure. If not just let her know I love her and I'm here.' Courtney says softly. She can hear through the phone as Amanda makes her way into the room before having a conversation that she can't quite make out.

'Court...' The pain in her voice makes Courtney's heart ache as she leans against the kitchen counter.

'Oh bubs... I'm so sorry.' Courtney says.

'I'm not gonna make the world cup.' Leah cries and Courtney feels tears filling her own eyes.

'Let's wait and see what your scans say, Le.' Courtney says.

'I know it's my acl, Court. The way both Viv and Beth have described it, that's exactly what I felt.' Leah replies.

'How are you getting home? Is your mum bringing you back?' Courtney asks.

'No, I'm getting the bus with the girls.' Leah replies.

'Come to mine? I want to look after you but if you want need to have some space I do understand that.' Courtney says softly.

'I won't be much company.' Leah whispers.

'You don't have to be any company. You can just lie in bed and try to process everything.' Courtney replies.

'Okay... I'll come over.' Leah says.

'Do you need me to pick you up?' Courtney asks.

'No, I can get to yours.' Leah replies.

'Okay. Well I'll see you when you get here, okay? I love you.' Courtney says.

'I love you too.' Leah replies.

****

'Come here, bubs...' Courtney says immediately wrapping her arms around the blonde whose eyes are swollen from crying. The blonde drops her head to rest on Courtney's shoulder as Courtney glances at Lia who is standing by the door with Leah's stuff.

'Come on in, Wally.' Courtney says causing her to shake her head.

'I'm gonna head off and give you two some space. Let me know how you are in the morning, Le.' Lia says softly and Leah nods her head.

'Thanks for running me home, Wally.' Leah replies quietly.

'You don't have to thank me, Le... Take care of yourself tonight and rest up, yeah?' Lia says and the blonde nods her head. Placing Leah's stuff inside the apartment, Lia smiles slightly at Courtney before turning and making her way back towards the elevator.

'Come on... Let's get you inside, bubs.' Courtney says. Together they make their way into the apartment, Courtney locking the front door before they make their way into the bedroom. Courtney sets about silently grabbing Leah some clothes to sleep in before making her way over to where the blonde is standing by the edge of the bed.

'Can I help you?' Courtney asks and Leah nods her head. Tears stream down her cheeks as she watches Courtney ever so gently lower her tracksuit bottoms before helping her step out of them and replacing them with a pair of loose pyjama trousers. She repeats the process with her top before reaching down to wipe the tears from her cheeks.

'I'm so sorry this has happened to you, Lele.' Courtney says softly.

'I'm scared... I've watched both Beth and Viv go through this lately and I just- I'm scared.' Leah admits and Courtney nods her head.

'I know you are. I know this isn't going to be easy for you but I want you to know that I'm not going anywhere. Whatever it is you need, I'm going to be right here.' Courtney says and Leah nods her head.

'I can't play for nine months.' Leah almost whispers as Courtney pulls back the covers and gestures for the blonde to get into bed. She places her crutches at the side so they're in easy reach for the blonde.

'I can't imagine how hard that must be.' Courtney says softly as she sits down on the bed beside the blonde. She runs her fingers through the blonde's hair as they sit in silence, Leah's head resting on the pillows as she stares up at the ceiling.

'Try get some sleep, bubs.' Courtney whispers, her fingers continuing to run through the blonde's hair. It takes a few minutes, the blonde's eyes fluttering before eventually her breathing evens out. Quietly climbing out of bed, Courtney gets changed into some pyjamas before getting back into bed beside the blonde. Grabbing her phone, she immediately clicks to compose a new text.

To Amanda:Leah's at mine. She's fast asleep just now. I'll let you know how she is in the morning xx

From Amanda:
Thanks love! I know she's in safe hands with you xx