three

Taking a deep breath, she adds the unknown number to her contacts before returning to re-read the message which had come through as she was feeding Bunny. It's been a little over two hours since her dad and Elenor left London to make their way back to Glasgow leaving her to her own devices as she tries to carve out a life for her and Bunny. Taking in the message, she can't help but smile slightly as she thinks back to the night last night before beginning to write a reply.

From Leah:
Hey, it's Leah... I hope you don't mind me messaging you but I had a great time last night. I know you've not long moved down here so if you need any recommendations or just a friendly face feel free to give me a message. If not, feel free to just ignore this.

To Leah:
Hi Leah... Of course I don't mind you messaging, I wouldn't have gave you my number if I did. Thank you so much for the offer, I don't know anyone down here yet so a friendly face would be great. I promise I don't always get as pissed as last night 🙈 x

From Leah:
Oh neither do I... That's actually a rare occurrence for me so I am so sorry you had to experience that the first time we met. I hope you've not felt as shit as I have today X

To Leah:
Broke the ice I guess... Don't know if I would've had the guts to talk to you sober, you're absolutely gorgeous x

To Leah:
Omg I can't believe I just said that. Please ignore me while I go bury myself in a hole 🙈. It's been a rough day and I still had to do all the unpacking that I was avoiding last night so you know... x

She drops her phone onto the mattress beside her and groans as she covers her face with her hands.

'I can't believe you just said that.' She mumbles to herself as she shakes her head. She's just about to turn her bedside lamp off, having resigned herself to the fact that she's scared the blonde away already before they even got to know each other, when her phone begins to vibrate on the mattress. Reaching for her phone, she gasps slightly at the name that flashes across the screen Leah. Taking a deep breath, her finger hovers over the accept button before she presses it and holds the phone up to her ear.

'Hey...' She says quietly.

'Hi... I hope you don't mind me calling I just- Well I wrote out a message so many times but kept deleting it because I didn't really want to do this over text.' Leah says softly causing Courtney to bite her bottom lip.

'I'm sorry I blurted that out I just- Well I don't always think before I say things and I know it was forward, I know it was stupid... Shit you must think I'm a right sleaze.' Courtney rambles before she hears a small laugh from the other end of the line.

'Court, breathe... It wasn't stupid and I certainly don't think you're a sleaze. Look, I think you're absolutely stunning. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find you extremely attractive from the moment I laid eyes on you last night but I need to be entirely honest with you because my life is crazy. I'm not long out of a long-term relationship so I'm not looking for anything serious but I really would like to get to know you better.' Leah says softly.

'I'd really like to get to know you better as well, even if it's just as a friend because god knows I need some of them.' Courtney replies laughing slightly.

'If we're getting to know each other then there is something I need to be honest with you about... I don't really know if you already know or what but I just- I'm a footballer, Court. It's my full-time job.' Leah says.

'Oh wow... I had no idea. Do you play for a team I'd know? Is it based around here or further afield?' Courtney asks lying back to rest her head against the pillows behind her.

'Arsenal. I've been with them since I was a kid, came through the academy and made my way up to the senior team. I captain the women's England team as well.' Leah explains causing Courtney to smile.

'Well that sounds incredible. You must be so proud, out there showing little girls that they can do anything.' Courtney says.

'Mm-hmm... I don't know if that changes anything for you but I just- Yeah my life is a bit crazy.' Leah replies.

'I have a baby.' Courtney blurts out and suddenly the line goes silent.

'Oh uh- Wow, I wasn't expecting that.' Leah admits after a few minutes of silence causing Courtney to sigh.

'I'm sorry, here I go blurting things out again but I just- Well I thought if we were being honest with each other well that's a pretty huge part of my life at the moment... I understand if you want to run a mile.' Courtney says.

'Boy or girl?' Leah asks.

'Girl.' Courtney replies quietly.

'Tell me about her.' Leah replies causing the brunette to smile as she closes her eyes.

'Her name is Beatrix but everyone calls her Bunny and has done since she was a newborn... She's nine months old and loves playing peek-a-boo. She's such a snuggly little baby, always has been but she has started to get quite strange around people she doesn't know but apparently that's common at her age.' Courtney says.

'She sounds amazing... Does she- Nah ignore me I'm not even going to ask that, it's none of my business.' Leah says.

'I raise her on my own... I've done it all on my own really, the pregnancy, all of it. Well I guess not really on my own; I had my dad he's been a great help and I had Elle who has been an absolute diamond but there is no other parent in the picture. It's only ever been me and Bunny.' Courtney explains.

'Well you must be one incredibly strong person because I couldn't even imagine going through that on my own.' Leah says softly.

'Does it scare you away? Do you want to run for the hills?' Courtney asks.

'Not at all... Does my career make you want to run?' Leah asks.

'Not in the slightest.' Courtney replies smiling.

'Right well that's settled then, none of us want to run for the hills yet... I am gonna head to bed though because if I turn up to training tomorrow half asleep I'm slightly concerned I won't have a job at the end of the season... Especially after today's mess. Speak soon?' Leah says.

'Speak soon.' Courtney replies smiling.