Fighting Back

"Vianna? Vianna?"

Everything was drowned out. In her hands was the helmet from the love of her life. Valerie had no idea what this meant. He wouldn't have just left her here, alone.

"Vianna?"

The tears trickled down her cheeks. Her thumb traced over the cracked visor. "Tech..." She whispered to herself. She couldn't focus her thoughts, she had even forgotten where she was. Someone grabbed her arm and turned her around.

"Vianna?" It was Danny. That's when she remembered she was in the woods with him, looking for the railcar. "Oh good, you found your helmet. I almost forgot I hid it there."

"What?" Valerie said in disbelief.

"We have to go though. I heard footsteps." Danny said and moved forward. "We can't stay at the crash site for long. Let's go." He waved her forward. Valerie looked at the helmet again before moving forward with Danny.

The woods were back to being dark but Valerie managed to keep her footing. The sound of footsteps and overall commotion got louder. Danny ducked behind some thick bushes and Valerie crouched down next to him. They could very clearly hear the clone troopers but Valerie couldn't get a sense to feel how many there were.

That's right, I cut myself off. She reminded herself. Valerie peaked her head up the same time as Danny did. Bright flood lights lit up the area of the crashed railcar. Clone troopers surrounded the area, taking note of everything. Valerie ducked back down and so did Danny.

"I thought you said the crash happened days ago? Or at least that's how long I've been asleep for." Valerie whispered.

"That's when the crash was reported about four-ish rotations ago, and that's when I found you in the woods back there. Four rotations ago." Danny whispered back.

Valerie peaked her head up again. She didn't see anyone laying on the ground and Valerie of course couldn't remember where she would've landed. Her eyes trailed up to the broken connection hinge, the hinge had a clean slice right through it. "99..." She mumbled to herself and her eyes watered again but she didn't know why.

"Vianna?" Danny pulled her back down. "What's 99?"

"I-I don't know." Valerie admitted. "Are you sure no one else was found?"

"I only found you. I'm sure if they found someone else there would be more Imperial forces here." Danny said. "But we need to go now, we've been here for too long."

"But I need to know more-" Valerie started to move but Danny stopped her.

"Vianna." He whispered. "I know you need more answers but getting caught isn't the way to do it. Let's get back home and I'll tell you everything I know."

Valerie nodded. "Okay."

Valerie peaked her head up one more time at the crash site before turning and following Danny back to the house. Tech's helmet still gripped tightly in her hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie sat at the dining table. Tech's helmet sat on it, right next to her. Danny had just put a cup of tea in front of her and sat across from her. She picked up the cup but didn't drink it. She liked the warmth of the tea on her fingertips.

"What happened the day you found me, Danny?" Valerie asked.

Danny took a small sip from his cup and cleared his throat. "Well, I was walking through the woods. Looking for herbs, berries, things that I could sell for credits." He paused for a brief moment. "I heard a woman scream. I know those woods like the back of my hands and followed the sound from where the scream came from."