Before The Storm

Tech got them safely out of the Daro System, he heard Valerie yell at Rickshaw behind him and storm off. Tech looked at Echo. "Go to her, she needs it." Echo said and Tech nodded. He got up from his seat and followed Valerie.

Valerie was leaning on the wall by her room. She was trying her hardest not to cry. She failed Hunter.

"Valerie?" Someone put a hand on her shoulder, she looked up and saw it was Tech.

She pushed him away from her. "Why didn't you go after him?" She demanded.

"Valerie, there was nothing we could've done." He stated.

"We can go back, Tech. He said I was in charge now and I'm ordering us to go back."

"I can't do that."

"Why? We can rescue him, I can rescue him!" She gripped his chest plate.

"Valerie, they know you, a Jedi, was there. If you go back they will kill you on sight. With Hunter he still has a chance." He wrapped his hands around hers.

The tears continued to well in her eyes and she rested her head on his shoulder. He gently rubbed her back. "I failed him." She whispered.

Tech pulled her back as a tear fell down her cheek. "Val, you didn't fail anyone."

She took a deep breath. "I told him I'd catch him, but-but I didn't. I let him fall. This is my fault."

Tech placed a hand on her cheek. "None of this is your fault, we all took the risk." Valerie leaned back into him. "Go get some rest, please?" Valerie nodded and she stepped away from him and disappeared into her room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple hours later, Tech was alone, everyone scattered. Omega was laying with Wrecker. Nothing was comforting the child but Wrecker was able to get her to sleep. Someone came up to the seat next to Tech and sat down. He looked at the clone and saw it was Rickshaw. "I'm sorry about Hunter." He said.

Tech stared straight ahead. "He knew the risks, we all did."

"Yea, Valerie's taking it pretty hard, this has happened once before for her." Tech turned as Rickshaw said that and lifted his eyebrow. "General Amon."

"Her Jedi master?"

"Yep. We were escaping from the separatist and he slipped and fell down a ravine. Valerie went to go after him but we had to hold her back. She was screaming and she blamed herself for not being able to save him."

"But wasn't he alive?"

"We found him the next day, he was in bad shape. He had to go to the Aurelia, our Venator. We got stuck with Jedi Master Pong Krell."

"I've seen his reports." Tech paused. "They are to be desired."

"Oh he's much better in person, but even though the general was still alive, Valerie couldn't help but blame herself."

"Yea, she blames herself now for Hunter."

The two of them sat in silence for a little bit before Rickshaw spoke up again. "Valerie still has her fiery spirit huh?"

"Yes she does. She can be quite stubborn sometimes." Tech stated.

"But that's what you like about her, isn't it?"

Tech looked at the clone, "I-I-um." He stuttered.

Rickshaw laughed. "You're allowed to have feelings, Tech. While she is a stubborn one. She also has the most caring soul out of any Jedi I met. She follows her heart. I can tell she cares about everyone here, but you especially."