Twelve.

Do you love my insides? Even the parts you can't see? Do you love my fangs and who I beg myself not to be?

Do you feel like making a deal with the devil? Do you feel like loving me?

"Ah, this is a good one," Mr. Lawrence pulled out a question from the box he had on his desk, "Does your name define you?"
I burrowed my brows in thought. I heard Angela Webber whisper to her friend that she had asked that question and I wanted to smile at her because of it. It was an interesting way that I could subtlety hint who I was to Ethan.
I'd always liked Angela.
"Yes, David Malloney,"

"I think your name doesn't. It's just something your parents label you as," He replied to the question, hoping he had gotten the right answer.
Philosophy hadn't been the right class for him, I realized that early on. He always expected to be congratulated on his answers, but there was never one correct or false answer when answering philosophical questions.

"What about nicknames, stage names?" He deadpanned, giving a pointed look to David who blushed slightly.

"I guess it's different in different circumstances," David shrugged, slouching down in his chair to hide his embarrassment.
Ethan clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. I looked at him and quickly looked away, smiling slightly to myself.

"Mostly," I spoke up, getting everyone's attention.
Ethan looked at me and I suddenly didn't want to speak, I just wanted to stare back at him, but I couldn't. I had started to speak so I needed to finish my answer.
"They carry personal, cultural and sometimes historical connections,"

"I have something to add to Jasper Hale's answer," Ethan smirked, pushing his knee against mine.
I clenched my jaw to stop a smile break out on my face and applied the same amount of pressure to his knee too. It was wild, everything I felt in that moment, the discomfort from the other student's emotions and blood all went away with the pressure of Ethan on my skin.
"It does define you to an extent. When people think of you they'll think of your name, it's a part of your identity, it's how your identified... it's who you are.
But also no, you could be named after the best person in the world. It doesn't mean you have the same traits and follow their footsteps,"

I looked at the human next to me and finally allowed the soft smile to break through onto my expression.
"Does a name of an object, for example, define the object?" I wondered, watching his mouth open slightly to answer, only to be interrupted.

"That's an incredible interpretation boys," Mr. Lawrence praised, nodding his head in our direction, "Let's all try to build on each other's answers,"
We ignored Mr. Lawrence, Ethan clearly did as his eyes were still trained on me.

"Give me an example," His lips curled up slightly, like he was anticipating something silly.
I chuckled quietly, my eyes light as I gazed to him. Our knees were still touching, I didn't want to move mine.

"Let me think...," I trailed off, trying to not be so specific, "Is a demon really a demon if it isn't demonic?"

"What?" He chuckled nervously, frowning after, pushing away that beautiful rise to his lips.

"Is a monster," The word felt imbalanced in my mouth, "Truly a monster if he doesn't want to be scary?"
Ethan looked at me with an expression he hadn't ever used with me before. I squinted my eyes slightly, trying to narrow down on his emotions and ignore all the buzz of everyone else around us. I needed to know what he was feeling.
He looked confused, startled, and a little disbelieving. What an odd mix.

"You're such a nerd," He waved off my questions much like he moved his knee away from mine.
I panicked. Had I upset him?
Instead of letting my mind wander so far, I distracted the teacher with his emotions and turned in my seat to grab the plastic bag by the foot of my chair, pulling it up into my lap.
Ethan, who hadn't looked away from me, seemed intrigued to know what was inside.