First Impressions

It was important to make a good first impression, Kellin knew this. Plus the sun was way too hot for all black attire; but staring at himself in shorts and a white tee shirt was just weird. Everything was stiff and he couldn't recognize himself. Sighing, he removed the bright garments in favor of his comfortable dark attire. His band shirt had been washed so many times it was basically grey, that counted right?

The morning passed uneventfully, his mother dropped him off on her way to work and wished him well. Kellin got all the way to homeroom without any disasters or civilian casualties; this might not be so bad. Then they received their classes for the semester; shit. It's not that the classes were terrible; English, math, home economics and guitar. Kellin would have been excited about his timetable, had he known where anything in this fucking school was. He stared in confusion at the class numbers and tried to translate them onto the shitty map a secretary had handed him when he first entered the building. After about ten minutes a girl chuckled, when Kellin looked up she leaned in.

'You must be new here, need help?' Kellin nodded graciously and handed her the papers. She plotted everything on the map and by the end of homeroom, Kellin was somewhat confident he could make it to his classes without getting horribly lost. Crisis averted.

English and math went by easy enough; it was the first day so nobody really taught anything. Kellin kept his head down most of the morning so it wasn't until lunch when he realized just how uniformed the suburbs were. He couldn't even begin to distinguish the different cliques; it was just polo shirts fucking everywhere. Kellin went to the library for lunch. He wasn't up for figuring out a place to sit the cafeteria and he honestly wasn't very hungry. Home economics was his next class, a complete curve ball because Kellin couldn't boil water; but he was excited nonetheless. He arrived at the class and sat at one of the empty tables in the room. Groups of people piled in and sat at other tables with their friends, Kellin was starting to worry that he'd be all alone in his kitchen when somebody tapped him on the shoulder.

'Mind if we sit here?' a boy with long hair asked, gesturing to him and his friend. These were the first boys Kellin had seen all day that weren't in polos. Kellin shrugged, trying to appear casual and the boys sat down.

'I'm Vic,' long haired boy said motioning to himself, 'and this is Jack, we both can't cook at all'

Kellin laughed a little at that, introduced himself and admitted 'I also can't cook at all so we're probably screwed.'

'Fuck you man I'm basically a professional!' Jack cut in quickly.

'Dude, you blew up a cake, twice' Vic countered. Jack was about to argue when the foods teacher interrupted.

'Boys and girls welcome to home economics, my name is Mrs. Baker and I'll be your teacher this semester. I trust that you've picked your kitchens wisely and you all have four-to five members in your units' she said scanning the room. She stopped at their table and asked where the other member was.

'It'll be fine Mrs. Baker; we'll be like the three musketeers' Jack started to explain. Eventually she agreed to let the boys' stay as a small group, but mostly because the other groups had the right numbers. The rest of the class was pretty boring; safety procedures and such. Guitar was next and Kellin was a little excited.

Guitar classes can be one of two things; they're either taken very seriously with no time to goof off, or the class is basically just a spare. Kellin hoped for the latter. Jack and Vic strode through the music room doors shortly after Kellin had taken his seat, and he was grateful to see at least somebody he knew. They waved at him when they entered the room and Kellin found himself offering a small wave back. Before he knew it the other boys where on either side of him.

''Fancy meeting you here' Jack declared as soon as he sat down.

'Same to you,' Kellin replied 'do you play?' what a stupid question, of course they play were in fucking guitar class. He blushed a little as Jack laughed

'I try, Vic's pretty good at it but he's too modest to say anything.' Vic just looked away, ignoring Jack's praise. Guitar went by quickly; they didn't play anything so the teacher went through the course expectations and basically dismissed everyone early.

Kellin's phone went off as he approached his locker.

'Hey honey, how was the first day? The office is in a tiny crisis so I might be a little late okay?'

Kellin replied to his mom, telling her school was fine and that he could walk home. Probably. Kellin knew in theory where he lived, unfortunately he didn't really pay attention on the drive this morning. But honestly if he walked around long enough he'd probably get there eventually.

He started walking and discovered that every street looked the same. He elected to walk the way he thought it was and just hope for the best. After around twenty minutes he reached a park, sitting on the swing exhausted and sweaty he took a break. He swung for a couple minutes before he spotted an anxious looking Vic walking the park path with a death grip on his backpack.

'Hey!' Kellin called making the poor kid nearly jump out of his skin; Vic relaxed a little when he saw Kellin and walked over.

'What are you doing here?' Vic asked, watching as the swing slowed to a stop.

'Honestly? I'm totally fucking lost, what are you up to?'

'Nothing really. On my way home from the store, where are you going?'

'Home, hopefully, all the streets look the same.' Kellin complained. He told Vic the address and the long haired boy's eyes lit up a little;

'Hey, I live literally a few doors down from there, you can walk with me.'

Kellin was relieved, turns out they were only a block or so away then he could get out of this heat. They talked on the way, Kellin told Vic that he moved from New York and Vic explained that he's lived in the suburbs his whole life. When they were on the correct street Kellin thanked Vic for helping him get unlost and Vic replied, 'hey because you're new and all if you want to eat with me and my friends at lunch, that's cool they're kinda weird but not assholes.' Kellin thanked Vic once again and went inside, maybe this wasn't so bad.