Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

The wooden stand was placed on a corner of the main street and the side street we walked on to arrive so it was quiet enough to have some privacy but still a lot of people to keep me slightly hidden.

'So, what's got you all bubbly?' I asked her, leaning back in my chair as she sat down after quickly going and ordered some food for us. She brushed her thick, straight brown hair from her eyes that fell as she moved to tilt her head looking down at me, her brown eyes going a shade lighter as the joy almost boiled her eyeballs out of their sockets.

'Well,' Bek sang, her tone holding the word out for some given anticipation. 'Josh proposed to me!' She squealed, holding out her left hand in excitement. I was slightly shocked from her squealing, her thick build and tom boy appearance making me presume she would have just announced it with the grin, but I grinned back at her and help her hand in mine, bringing the ring closer so I could inspect it.

It was a thick silver band with four small, perfectly shinned diamonds shimmering in the small amount of sun rays that burst through the clouds. It looked simple but absolutely perfect.

'Congratulations,' I gushed. 'It's incredible.' I gasped, amazed by the piece of jewelry. Jewelry never had a huge impact on me but maybe because it held so much promise for her future that I found it stunning. 'Did you expect it?' I questioned, finding my inner girl to gossip with her.

'Not at all,' she said, pulling her hand back and holding out her fingers so she could dreamily gaze at the ring. 'Josh has been so busy with his work lately, working late and not being home as often. I thought for sure he was going to end it soon because he seemed a bit distance and bottled up. But then one night, he set up a romantic dinner in the forest and proposed, saying how work may be busy but it never let him forget about me and made him realize he wanted to spend every minute for the rest of his life with me.'

She recalled, her eyes having a faraway look in them as the small smile lingered on her lips. I looked at her with an adorning smile towards what she told me, felling so happy for her but a part of my mind was stuck on what she said about Josh work. He works for the government so why would he be working late all the time.

'That's sweet.' I said, my mind now side tracked. 'I'm really happy for you.' For the next thirty minutes or so, I sat and ate my food and listened to Bek rant off all her ideas for the small wedding she had in mind and talk about how excited she was. I never interrupted, instead I nodded my head and put in a few Yes, that sound amazing, Naww not wanting to interrupt her telling's. I had the feeling that Bek didn't have many friends which is why she's so egar to tell me, an almost stranger, all her plans.

'So Josh is excited for it too?' I finally asked when she had got through her thoughts.

'Yes, he can't wait either. But we have to hold off a few months because of his work and his boss is getting married before us.' She said, taking a bight of her salad roll.

'His boss?' I asked, this statement sparking my curiosity.

'Yeah, his boss proposed to his girlfriend about two months ago but they also have to hold the wedding off until a few months after the drama is over. It's common curtsey to let them marry before us, after all their best mates.' She explained, having no clue the casual conversation was telling me information that could actually benefit Jaxon and me. I felt slightly guilty for using her but I pushed it to the back of my mind, my main goal taking priority.

'What's he work as again?' I faked forgetting.

'For the government. He does a lot of security and protection since he's an amazing fighter.' She proudly replied, obviously thrilled her fiancée had such a high ranked job.