36. India here we are

Their decision to keep their relationship a secret had been a difficult one. Priya knew her parents held traditional values, and they had always envisioned a Indian husband for their daughter. But love knew no bounds, and Priya and Kookie's connection was undeniable.

As they made their way through the crowded airport, Priya couldn't shake the butterflies in her stomach. What if her parents didn't approve? What if they were disappointed? These thoughts lingered in her mind as they hailed a taxi to take them to her childhood home.

The journey felt both exhilarating and agonizingly slow as they weaved through the chaotic streets of Delhi. Priya stole glances at Kookie, finding comfort in his reassuring smile. He squeezed her hand gently, silently offering his support.

They had been dating for over two years now, and Kookie knew how important it was for Priya to have her parents' acceptance. Their relationship had blossomed amidst late-night conversations, shared dreams, and stolen kisses. But the question of whether her conservative parents would approve of their love hung over them like a dark cloud.

Stepping out of the airport, the warm embrace of India greeted them, along with the chaos of the streets. Priya's hand found its way into Kookie's, and he felt a surge of reassurance. They hailed a taxi and headed towards Priya's childhood home, located in a quiet suburb.

As they approached the familiar white gate adorned with bougainvillea, Priya's heart raced with anticipation. This was the moment they had been planning for weeks. With trembling hands, she rang the doorbell, her eyes locked with Kookie's.

Her heart pounded as they waited for someone to answer. Seconds felt like hours until the door creaked open, revealing Priya's mother standing in the doorway, her expression a mixture of confusion and surprise.

"Ma, Papa, we're here!" Priya exclaimed, her voice trembling with anticipation.

Her mother's eyes widened in disbelief as she took in the sight of Priya and Kookie standing before her. Kookie flashed a nervous smile, his eyes darting between Priya and her mother.

"Priya, who is this?" her mother finally managed to utter, her voice tinged with concern.

Priya took a deep breath, summoning the courage to speak only to be interrupted by Kookie
" Namaste Aunty , I am Kim Ji- hoon a.k.a Kookie. I'm her boy- " Only to be interrupted by Priya here

" FRIEND !! " Priya stated.

" Friend ? " Kookie questioned.

" Yeah! " Priya said squinting her eyes while looking at kookie.

" Yeah .. hehe.. " kookie said.

Kookie felt uneasy as he walked into the living room, greeted by her parents' warm smiles. He could sense the tension in the air as his girlfriend introduced him simply as "her friend." Throughout the evening, he tried his best to impress them, but every compliment felt like it fell short, as if he were just another friend.

Despite the discomfort, Kookie kept his cool, engaging in conversation and showing genuine interest in their lives. As the night went on, he couldn't help but wonder when he'd finally be recognized as more than just a friend. But for now, he'd play the part, hoping to win them over one genuine interaction at a time.

He couldn't shake off the discomfort brewing within him as he replayed the scene in his mind. Standing amidst the cheerful chaos of his girlfriend's family gathering, he couldn't fathom why she had introduced him simply as a "friend." Doubt gnawed at him as he questioned the depth of their relationship.  He noticed the nervous twitches in her smile, the slight tremor in her voice whenever their gazes met.

It dawned on him that perhaps her choice of words wasn't a reflection of her feelings for him, but rather a manifestation of her anxiety in introducing him to her family. The weight lifted from his shoulders as understanding replaced confusion. He reached out to her, squeezing her hand gently, silently assuring her that he understood. Sometimes, words falter in the face of nerves, but actions speak volumes.

                     ( After a week )

[The scene opens in a cozy living room. A couple, Kookie and Priya, sit on the couch, sipping on cups of tea. Soft music plays in the background. Priya's parents have gone out for grocery shopping leaving them alone in the house]

Kookie : [Gently] Priya, there's something I've been wanting to talk to you about.

Priya: [Looking at Kookie, concerned] What is it, Kookie?

Kookie: It's about us. About how we are with each other in front of your parents.

Priya : [Sighs, knowing where this is going] Kookie, I know. I've been avoiding it, but I know we need to talk about it.

Kookie : [Nods, taking a deep breath] Priya, I love you, and I love spending time with you. But I feel really guilty when we are always lying and hiding about us to your parents.

Priya : [Looks down, fidgeting with her cup] I know, Kookie. I feel the same. I've been scared to tell them about us. I don't know how they'll react.

Kookie : [Reaches out, taking Priya's hand] I understand it's difficult. But keeping our relationship a secret is starting to weigh on me. I want to be able to hold your hand in public, to introduce you as my girlfriend.

Priya :  [Tears welling up in her eyes] I want that too, Kookie. I'm just scared of how they'll react. They've always been so traditional.

Kookie : [Squeezes Priya's hand gently] We can't let fear control us, Priya. We have something special, and it's worth fighting for.

Priya : [Wiping away tears] You're right, Kookie. I'll talk to them. I'll tell them about us.

Kookie : [Smiles softly] Thank you, Priya. I'll be there with you every step of the way.

[They share a comforting hug, feeling a sense of relief and determination wash over them. The scene fades out as they continue to hold each other, knowing that they'll face whatever comes their way together.]