Chapter Forty-seven

The Doctor doesn't really know what to do, as he stands awkwardly in the doorway, and Cherry stares up at him in silence, eyes fixed on his bow tie. She's been crying. Her eyes are still shining and her face is still wet. It's not exactly an unexpected reaction from her, but it aches in his chest when he looks at her. She has a small smile on her face, and she's quite content with their baby safely in her arms, but he can see the effect her time in Demon's Run has had on her.

Her smile doesn't reach her eyes. Her face doesn't hold any colour. And he can see it in her eyes when they finally lock onto his. Anger. She's angry. And she's afraid, too. The Doctor thinks for a moment it's him she's angry at. That she's afraid of him. But she smiles when she sees the green in his eyes, even if they are harbouring his deep, unbridled rage toward Madam Kovarian and Colonel Run-Away and everyone else on this silly little asteroid, with their silly little guns.

He's furious, still. Even after winning. It takes everything in him to not blow up the entire asteroid with everybody still on it. He could do it. He could pack his friends into the Tardis and he could obliterate the entire base. He wants to. But what would she think of him? He doesn't want her seeing him like that. It would scare her. And what example would he be setting for their child? He's a father now... again.

The first words Cherry speaks as he steps into the room aren't to him, but rather to the baby in her arms. She tilts the infant up a little, so they can see the Doctor at the top of the steps which lead into the blindingly white room and she speaks to it in the most beautiful, delicate voice. The Doctor practically melts on the spot when he hears her speaking. Her voice is so beautiful. He's missed it in the Tardis. The ship has been so void of life without her in it to brighten things up. He hasn't even been down the corridor with their room in since he cut her tie to the Ganger. It's been too painful. "Look, sweetie," she whispers to his baby. "That's your daddy."

He stands next to them, and he grins with teary eyes, pointing down at the baby. Their baby. "Hello," he says softly, taking their little hand and wiggling it a little. "Hello, Baby-Doctor."

"That's not her name," Cherry laughs, shaking her head as she passes their daughter to him, letting him cradle her in his arms. The Doctor raises his eyebrows, keeping his eyes fixed on his daughter as Cherry adjusts the blanket around her body to make sure she is comfortable. "Her names Melody."

"Melody?" The Doctor hums. "Hello, Melody Pond."

"Isn't she perfect?" Cherry gushes, holding her finger out so Melody can hold on to it as she wriggles in the Doctor's arms. "Melody Marjorie Pond."

"You used that name?" Amy asks, quite surprised that Cherry has used the exact name she settled on for a daughter when they were little and Cherry shrugs.

"Well, I didn't have much time to think of a name," she points out, and the Doctor's smile falls. "Besides, I promised Mels and Marjorie is a mix of Mary and Jack and Amelia and Rory. It's perfect. That's why I've always wanted to use that name."

"Yes, she does smell nice," the Doctor says, in a world of his own and Cherry watches as he coos down at their daughter with an arched eyebrow. "Yes, I know. I know."

He adjusts their daughter, so she is resting quite snugly in one of his arms and he wraps his other around Cherry's shoulder, pulling her into his side. She leans into him, her arm snaking around his back and clinging onto his tweed jacket as he kisses the top of her head and inhales deeply, burying his face in her hair for a moment.

"Doctor," she breathes out, a fresh round of tears stinging in her eyes as she soaks in his comforting warmth.

"I'm sorry we took so long," he whispers, and she shakes her head.