Chapter Twenty-one

TRIGGER WARNING - MENTION OF SUICIDE, DEPICTIONS OF DEPRESSION 

When the Doctor tells Cherry their trip today is specifically for her, as he and Amy decided together she deserves a little treat, she could never have imagined that the Doctor would land the Tardis outside the Musée d'Orsay in Paris. Her face lights up, her hands trembling with excitement as she turns back to the Doctor and her cousin with a disbelieving look on her face. She grips the Doctor's arm, shaking it a little as she stutters, unable to form a coherent sentence.

"I told you she'd like it," Amy grins triumphantly, nudging the Doctor with her elbow.

"We're really here?" Cherry finally gets out, and the Doctor nods, a smile playing on his lips as he sees how overjoyed she is to just be standing outside the art gallery.

"Well, I owed you a visit," the Doctor reminds her, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Thought I might as well start with one of the best."

Cherry stands still outside the Tardis for a moment longer before she glances down at her outfit. "I need to change."

"What? Why?" Amy scoffs incredulously, eyeing her cousin's perfectly acceptable outfit with an arched brow. Cherry throws her arms in the air in a manner that reminds Amy a little too much of the Doctor, and the redhead wonders whether the pair are spending too much time together. "Your outfit is nice."

"No, it's not... fancy enough," Cherry argues, fiddling with the sleeve of her white knitted cardigan, embroidered with red cherries. "I wish you would've told me sooner. I would've worn a dress!"

"I thought you looked quite nice," the Doctor hums, taking another look at her outfit of the day. Cherry sighs, shaking her head and staring at the black denim skirt and red Converse, which she paired with her cardigan.

"Yes, but it's not good enough," Cherry tells them, trying to make sure they grasp the importance of this moment for her. "You know... it's not... well, it's not 'Yowzah'."

The Doctor chuckles to himself, and Amy rolls her eyes, drawing out a very loud, very dramatic groan. "I beg to differ," the Doctor responds to Cherry, and the brunette raises her eyebrows sceptically.

"See! It is," she seizes them both by the upper arms and forces them to move forward toward the museum. "Now, let's go. I may not be an artist, but I would like to see some of the art, too."

They make their way through all of the exhibits, taking their time to look at every single work of art and listening to Cherry as she rambles on about how each piece is unique and beautiful. They are all very excited about one exhibit in particular, which they reach towards the end of their visit. The Vincent Van Gogh room. Cherry pauses when they finally reach the entrance to the exhibit, her hands shaking at her sides as she takes a deep breath to calm herself down.

"Charlotte, are you okay?" the Doctor wonders, watching over her closely and trying to assess her body language.

"Yeah," Cherry nods certainly, wiping her hands on her skirt. "This is like... a really big deal for me."