New Years - Twentythree

School went by as one would expect before christmas holidays

School went by as one would expect before christmas holidays. Exams. Whole lot of them. And I was working more because of the seasonal rush. Aron was kind enough to understand and picked up a hobby for himself, volleyball to do after school and so we would have time to meet up before he would take the last bus back home.

Christmas came and went. My family always spent it on my grandmas, my mum's mum that is. We never met our dad's mum. Our cousins, aunts, uncles, everyone were there for christmas eve when the whole big deal happened in my country. Christmas day is just a day to relax and enjoy your gifts in peace.

On New Years eve our home phone rang which mum answered while I was laying on my bed and was too lazy to get up. And soon after another call.

"Now you better get it." Mum said with her you've been warned, sound in her voice. I grunted and dragged myself to the phone.

"Ello?"

"Are you coming tonight?" It took me a second to realize it was Pia.

"Where?"

"To the center, there's a New Year's gathering!" I thought about it and then said I'd have to ask my mum. She was peculiar about holidays and familytime.

"Mum, can I go to the New Years thing at the center with Pia?"

"What time?" She asked and I remember wondering why it was so easy.

"Around 8pm." She was silent for a moment and then said,

"Alright."

"Thank you!" I squealed and Pia understood what the high pitch noise meant.

"I'll see you then!" She shrieks and puts the phone down.

I walk to the living room and look at my mum who is reading a book.

"Why'd you let me go so easily?" She looks at me for a moment and then says,

"Go have a shower before you go. Your hair is better down than in a ponytail."

"Okay." I feel suspicious but don't fight against it. I could go out and spend a New Years evening with my friends!

After the shower I was walking up the stairs and trying to make the towel stay on my head so I wouldn't drop water all around the hallway. As I stepped in the apartment I was asking loudly if mum would want some coffee as I definitely needed the caffeine. I dried my hair towel dry, put up the towel on the hook in the hall and walked into the kitchen only to be scared half to death. Aron sitting by the dining table with my mum!

"What! HOW?" I screech and rush to him. He opens his arms and pulls me into a tight cuddle.

"I called earlier. Asked your mum if I could come over for the night." Mum smirks at me from across the table.