Why him, he asked - Twelve

He waits for me to finish my dinner and get my jacket

He waits for me to finish my dinner and get my jacket. I had chosen platform shoes, they were a thing back then but I then realized I would be head taller than him so I chose the basic white sneakers I've been saving, barely been using; not wanting to get them dirty.

He takes my hand as we get downstairs and he leads us to the schoolyard. I know that we're early, like way early but he walks us to the door quite determined and knocks on it. A senior opens the door, it's their disco and they are getting everything ready. I knew the boy's face, but never spoke to him. He smiles and nods at me after greeting Aron. It is strange to be acknowledged in such a company. Seniors were like demigods to us Juniors.

Aron turns to the left hallway which is normally used by elementary school students and I see people sitting at the end of the hallway. Our school had these benches and chairs scattered on the hallways, the group had pulled the majority of them to the end and I recognized Pia from the distance from her big curly hair and her laughter. Aron tightened his hold on my hand as we got closer and we noticed Matt and Christa there. Matt looked miserable as per usual but this time I smeledl alcohol. Not a barely noticeable scent of it but an actual cloud flies into my nose and I can't help but lift my hand in front of my nose for a moment to calm my stomach.
The smell was so strong you guys, you have no idea.

I just look at the situation and try to stay on my toes in case Matt escalates the situation to something no one wants. After all I had experience with drunk men, thanks to my dad, but Matt seemed to behave pretty well for now. He offered a drink to everyone in the company from a see through no label bottle which I declined and Aron only sniffed curiously.
"Who are you trying to poison?" He asks and Matt just shrugs his shoulders. I remember Aron pulled me closer to him on that point and I looked at him curiously while Pia exclaimed how cute we are together. I really wanted to ask him why he had asked me, it was not common to ask someone on a date to the school disco; quite the opposite actually.

I never felt the need to speak much in the group I was somehow part of. Pia made sure there was always laughter and talking. I did not exactly feel like I was part of the group, I just were.. In it. If that makes sense?

As time hit 6pm Aron figured it's time for us to make our way to the hall where others were gathering. He whispered to me and asked if I would want to hit the dance floor with him. He took his jacket off, put on the back of one the seat on the edge of the darkened hall. There was a group of seniors playing up with the smoke machine and the music was loud as ever. I took my jacket off as well, revealing my crop top and my skirt to the darkness. What did I expect, people to turn around in awe? Nah, I just needed Aron to be in awe or something similar and he was. He smiled at me gently, looked at me from the top to toes and pulled me close, saying again how he thought I was beautiful. Don't you love getting compliments like I do? Such an ego boost!

He pulled me to the dance floor after him as more and more people stepped on the floor and created these little rings where they were dancing. Just like in the schoolyard not just anyone could join the ring.

I can't remember how long we danced but I remember the very first slow dance dropped and he did not even look like anything changed he just stepped in and held me close. Places his hands at a respectful height on my lower back and dug his face into my neck. He smelled so good, I had not noticed it before.

He was a smoker so he had that familiar old smoke smell on his hair, and this soft scented aftershave. It made me feel warm inside, his hands on my body, his fingertips sliding against my bare skin left between the skirt and top, his warm breath on my neck, his lips brushing against my skin but not quite kissing.

To my habbit I kept an eye on other dancers at the same time and noticed a few girls pressing their whole bodies against the boys who they were dancing with. I found it intriguing and kept it in mind. Just in case you know.

The night went on and Aron spent the whole time with me, he spoke little more to me once in a while too; telling about his friends and family, his interests. We were like day and night, but sometimes the opposite attract right?
The night was nearing the half way when I caught my eye at the entrance of the hall and I nudged Aron. He saw what I meant and we went to sit by the seats where our jackets were waiting. Matt had finally arrived at the disco and was dragging Christa behind him. They were interrupted by Pia who tried to make them sit with them a little way off from us but once Matt saw us he made his way through the crowd.
"Well crap." Aron says and I couldn't help but agree. Matt looked like he was bringing problems.

He looked like a raging bull when he made his way through the crowd. He was wider than anyone else and he was not a short guy either so people gave him room without hesitation. We sat and watched. Watched him make his way towards us and I realized that Christa was drunk. Her step was a little skippy and she had this wide smile on her face.
"She's drunk." I said and he nodded,
"We're sharing the same drive home tonight. It'll be bad, I need to sober her up."
"You do that, I'll try to keep Matt busy." He looked at me and said right before Matt and Christa arrived;
"I need you to understand that I really like you. A lot." I nod at him that I heard him and he turns to them, making some joke. I watch quietly and Matt sits next to me, watching the dance floor. Aron then proceeds to talk to Christa who gets slightly annoyed and I tell them to take it outside, he ends up dragging Christa behind him.
"Why are you with him?" Matt asks and I watch people dancing as I answer slowly,
"I don't understand what you mean." He leans towards me,
"He is not right for you." I shake my head slightly,
"Let us find that out for ourselves."
"You should be with someone who is stronger, who knows your value." I raise my eyebrow at this point and I turn to him.
"Who knows my value? He has been nothing but a gentleman tonight, which I can't agree on how you've been behaving." He falls into silence and reaches out to his pocket, takes the bottle out and looks at it.
"This what you mean?" I shrug and smile at the senior couple who walk up to the dancefloor together. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters.
"Let's dance." Matt says and pulls me to the dance floor before I can tell him no.

---

3/4/24