26 | Resilience

𝓒HAPTER TWENTY-SIX.

You Know, Sometimes We Get So Caught Up In Our Own Struggles That We Overlook The Fact That Others Might Be Hurting Too. It's Like Thinkin' Someone's Living The High Life, But They Could Be Wrestlin' With Their Own Issues Under The Surface. So, It's Important Not To Compare Our Lives With Anyone Else's—Everyone's Got Their Own Battles To Fight.

- 𝒥uan Collins

𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐂 𝐈 | VOLUME ONE

RESILIENCE.
[ HARLEM, NY ]

She lay on her bed, her gaze fixed on the stark white ceiling, enveloped in a sea of white. As she contemplated her thoughts, she nervously chewed on her bottom lip, questioning the authenticity of their connection. Even though their time together had been brief, she couldn't shake the feeling of attachment towards Juan. He held one of her deepest secrets and accepted her for who she was. It was a dream come true for her, finding someone who didn't judge her for her lack of sexual activity or her inability to conceive. The reality of her situation hit hard; she had undergone surgery that left her unable to bear children. The news had sent her spiraling into depression initially, but she had come to terms with it, accepting it as a part of her life's journey. Despite her desire to talk things out with Juan and try to salvage their relationship, she couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't taking her seriously. It pained her deeply, knowing that she wasn't the type to chase after someone's affection.

Turning her head to the side, Jade noticed Yolanda lying beside her, both facing the same stark ceiling. Deciding to push aside her own thoughts about Juan, Jade chose to be there for her grieving friend. She reached out, sliding her hand down to meet Yolanda's, offering silent support as tears streamed down her face. Though Yolanda's expression remained impassive, her eyes betrayed the depth of her sorrow. "I hate him, Jade. I hate Malik so much," Yolanda finally uttered, her voice thick with pain. Hearing these words, Jade felt a pang of sadness surge through her. Yolanda's anguish was palpable, especially as she expressed her hatred towards her own twin brother. Witnessing Yolanda's pain weighed heavily on Jade, her own face contorting into a mask of sorrow as she fought back tears.

"It's his fault, and whatever trouble he got himself into. Now, Leon's not here anymore and I just, I just feel like—" Yolanda's words began to falter, hinting at self-blame, but Jade quickly hushed her, refusing to let her shoulders bear the weight of guilt. Yolanda's tears flowed uncontrollably, her attempts to stem them futile as she wiped them away. "It is not your fault, I won't allow you to blame yourself for this. Nobody saw it coming," Jade reassured her, moving closer and enveloping Yolanda in a comforting hug. Yolanda, overwhelmed with emotion, clung to Jade, her tears dampening Jade's cheek with their heat. With her family slowly crumbling, arguments escalating, and her parents barely communicating, Yolanda longed to escape from the pain that surrounded her. She felt as though she couldn't bear it any longer. "You were the best sister to him."