18 | Trouble In Paradise

𝓒HAPTER EIGHTEEN.

In The Face Of Struggle, We Discover Strengths We Never Knew Existed. When Shit Hits The Fan, You Find Yourself Doing Things You Never Saw Coming. Tough Times Rewrite The Playbook, Revealin' A Gritty Strength You Didn't Know You Had.

- 𝒥uan Collins

𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐂 𝐈 | VOLUME ONE

TROUBLE IN PARADISE.
[ HARLEM, NY ]

Jade skillfully reapplied her lip liner, making sure to perfect the contours as she admired herself in the mirror. After giving her lips a delicate touch with her fingers and subtle lip movements, she neatly stowed the lip liner in her makeup bag, which then went back into her purse. Glancing at Yolanda, who was doing some quick hair touch-ups, Jade observed the synchronization of their routine. After restoring everything to order in their bags, the inseparable friends, Jade and Yolanda, held hands and left the girls' bathroom during their school lunch break, embodying the essence of true besties. Wherever Jade went, Yolanda was sure to follow, their bond resembling that of sisters, connected at the hips.

As the talk of the school, Jade and Yolanda formed a striking duo, seamlessly complementing each other with their distinct but harmonious styles. Yolanda exuded boldness, while Jade radiated a sweet and soulful charm. Regardless, they undeniably stood out as "THE" duo. While navigating the hallways, they encountered Regina, who, alongside Shantae, cast disapproving glances at Jade. Regina's indecisiveness and tendency to align with whoever suited her at the moment made things complex. Despite finding Regina and Shantae peculiar, Jade remained unfazed, knowing that as long as she had Yolanda, her true friend by her side, she was content. Suddenly, a tap on her shoulder caught Jade's attention, revealing Travis.

"Hey, how are ya!" Travis, aiming for humor with an enthusiastic tone and a broad smile, garnered a disgusting look from Yolanda, who found his attempt cringe-worthy. In contrast, Jade, finding such gestures cute and adorable, responded with a smile on her face. "It's been a min, where you been?" Jade, connected through their parents' business ties, reciprocated the positive energy. Despite her intimidating appearance, she possessed a sweet and kind soul. Yolanda, unable to bear the cringe, sighed in disbelief and walked away, leaving the two alone. Seizing the opportunity, Travis cleared his throat, having harbored a crush on Jade since childhood. Convinced they were meant to be, he believed he had everything to win over her father's approval. Which was true. "You know, been around the corner."

Travis picked up on Jade's nod and maintained a smile, but sensing the awkwardness, Jade didn't have much to say. After a moment of silence, Travis decided to break the ice and gathered the courage to finally ask her out. "Actually, I wanted to ask if you were fr-" Travis's sentence was abruptly interrupted when a hand passed him some paper files, resembling homework. As he looked up, he discovered Juan, whom he hadn't seen in weeks. However, Juan appeared markedly different, devoid of any visible emotion, wearing a blank stare. Despite hearing about Juan's grandfather, the way he was regarded felt unsettling, creating an atmosphere of unease as if they were now adversaries. "Where have you been?!" Jade expressed surprise at Juan's sudden presence, a sentiment shared by those around them. However, Juan maintained a fixed gaze on Travis until he took the papers from him. Travis then shifted his attention back to Jade, who appeared genuinely interested in Juan's presence.