03 | The Disparities Projects

𝓒HAPTER THREE.

Nothing Is Ever Enough In Life, At One Point You Start To Realize You Can't Please Everybody. There's Always Gonna Be Somebody There To Judge Or Hate, As Long As You Know You Got Yourself— Shit Don't Matter. You Gon' Have To Learn How To Thug That Shit Out.

- 𝒥uan Collins

𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐂 𝐈 | VOLUME ONE

THE DISPARITIES PROJECTS
[ HARLEM, NY ]

1997. Running her fingers through her curls, Jade grabs a hold of her hair and then twists it into a sloppy bun. She then removes the elastic from her mouth and secures it around the bun so that it will not move, then reversing direction to see her mother preparing dinner. "So, what you cooking?" Jade questioned her mother, who was busy removing the skin from potatoes, while she was standing at the opposite corner of the island table.

Before resuming her focus on peeling as quickly as she could because she was running out of time before the guests arrived, her mother gave Jade a short glimpse. "Mashed potatoes with garlic, salmon on the side since it's Mr. Bourgeois favourite and a carrot soup for his wife." Her mother finally told her, with a disgusted expression. When she is in the kitchen, she normally dives in with both feet, but this time, it appeared that she was only trying to accommodate the guest's wishes rather than her usual routine, which Jade quickly recognized. — Mr. Bourgeois, a top investor who has been working with Jade's father for years and is originally from France, they are both business man who are well-known for having many contacts and success in their city. Jade's parents want to make things ideal for Bourgeois because he plays a significant role in her father's life.

"Mm, I get it. You need any help with that?" In response to her mother's disgusted expression, Jade laughed before pointing to the carrot she had placed out. "Please, if you don't mind." She replied in the most beseeching and worn-out voice, as if she were mentally drained, before returning to making her mashed potatoes dinner and turning to face the kitchen stoves. While collecting the platters of carrots and getting ready to cut them, Jade let out one final chuckle.

After a brief period of silence, the only sounds coming from the kitchen were her mother using the stove and the sound of carrots being cut into pieces. Her mother was disturbed by the sudden quiet since she wasn't used to Jade being quiet; in comparison to her siblings, Jade was a girl with a very large personality. As she's used to be more talkative, it is obvious that something is wrong when she becomes quiet. In which case her mother was correct, Juan did not appear at school today, leaving Jade to wonder if she offended him since she intended to apologize today. In addition, they still had a project to complete, which added additional stress because they still had to figure it out, and since she has no contacts with him it increased the strain. "You okay, Sinta?" Looking up from the carrots, Jade's expression completely altered. Unaware of the vibe she was giving off, she instantly smiled without using her teeth and nodded frequently to reassure her mother.