10 | No Such Thing As Normal

𝓒HAPTER TEN.

Sometimes, Being Honest Has Its Drawbacks. There Are Moments When Telling The Whole Truth Could Just End Up Hurting People For No Good Reason. Not Telling Everything Can Actually Save Them From Extra Pain & Help Them Handle Things Better.

- 𝒥uan Collins

𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐂 𝐈 | VOLUME ONE

❝  NO SUCH THING AS NORMAL
[ HARLEM, NY ]

Each drop of water slid down her cheeks and met the sink's surface, while her gaze remained fixed on the rushing stream of water spiraling down the drain. Having just completed her morning routine, her mind wandered aimlessly. The events of the previous day and their rapid escalation replayed in her thoughts, refusing to center around a single topic as they all merged into a bewildering shock. Emauni was aware that she was a target, as was her uncle. Though not privy to all the details, she understood that the origins traced back to her parents and their involvement in the drug trade. What troubled her most, however, was the unsettling realization that under these circumstances, her lifespan had been drastically curtailed, leaving her with an uncertain amount of time. Accepting this reality proved incredibly difficult, especially given the multitude of people who sought her demise due to her connection to a looming legacy, a weight that significantly strained her mental well-being.

An abrupt knocking at her door jolted her from her reverie, prompting her to snap out of her daze. She quickly refocused on washing her face, countering the distraction by splashing cold water onto her skin to help shake off the drowsiness. "Breakfast is ready." A voice from behind the door reached her ears, and in response, she called out, "Almost done!" The sound of footsteps receded as the person walked downstairs, leaving Emauni to complete her routine. After turning off the faucet, she took a deep breath and reached for a warm towel, gently patting her face dry and wiping away the water. Having already showered, Emauni was now dressed in a comfortable outfit: flared gray pants paired with a gray tube top that provided ample support. A diamond necklace adorned her neck, and her damp curls cascaded down her back. In light of the events from the previous day, she had the choice to either attend school or remain at home, and she ultimately opted for a personal day, giving herself the chance to take a break.

She slid her feets into her warm slides before putting everything else in place, right down to the spritz of luxurious perfume she applied. Even though she had chosen to stay home, Emauni was committed to looking and smelling her best. This was simply her approach. Exiting the bathroom, she encountered Tjay, who had also emerged from his room. In reality, Wayne had made the decision to lie low at Cain's place following the events of the night before, anticipating heightened security around Wayne's home and subsequent renovations due to the incurred damage. A lesser-known truth was that Tjay was actually Cain's younger brother, making him Wayne's son. However, their mothers were different – while Cain grew up in the United Kingdom with a British mother, Tjay hailed from Harlem with an American mother. Both Tjay and Cain were Wayne's sole children, and for reasons of safeguarding their well-being, Wayne intentionally kept this fact concealed from others. Despite maintaining a presence in their lives, Wayne was determined to shield his children's safety and protect his legacy, which led him to keep their true relationship a secret from the rest of the world.