16 | I'll Be Seeing You

𝓒HAPTER SIXTEEN.

Life Is A Masterclass In Uncertainty. The More We Learn, The More It Throws At Us. Sometimes, Not Knowing Is A Blessing, & Taking Risks Can Be A Double-Edged Sword. In The End, The Safest Path May Be To Cherish The Bliss Of Ignorance.

- 𝒥uan Collins

𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐂 𝐈 | VOLUME ONE

I'LL BE SEEING YOU
[ HARLEM, NY ]

The persistent calls echoed from a considerable distance, the bustling activity of people walking and talking signaling a busy day. The surroundings indicated that everyone was engaged in their work, grappling with cases looming over them and new ones constantly emerging. The buildings housing the attorney and federal prosecutor offices were always in a state of activity. Meanwhile, Angela Cruz maintained her focus within her own office. Seated in her chair with her feet on the desk, she pondered how everything had unfolded, idly playing with a pencil in her hand. Reflecting on whether separating Wayne from Emauni was the right decision, she wondered about Emauni's potential treatment in foster care—whether it would be miserable or reasonably decent. Despite the guilt creeping in, she acknowledged the truth that she was getting closer to what she wanted: eliminating Wayne. At this point, it wasn't personal, given their past affair. Instead, she aimed to create a better scene in New York by dealing with each kingpin in due time.

A knock disrupted her contemplative thoughts, prompting Angela Cruz to lift her feet off the table and assume a professional demeanor. Upon opening the door, she found Wilson Cooper, her esteemed colleague in the field of federal prosecution, standing there. "Sorry to interrupt, but you might wanna come take a look at this." Wilson interjected as he opened the door, signaling that something important was happening. Angela swiftly rose from her chair, joining Wilson as they walked out of her office. He led her to the main office where everyone in their field gathered to discuss their thoughts or uncover potential leads. "What's going on?" Entering the meeting room, Angela's gaze surveyed the surroundings, taking note of the presence of Shawn Andrews, an attorney, and Terrence Brown, their FBI agent. The quartet had been assigned to the case of New York's King Pins, working together to unravel the power dynamics and apprehend each figure in the criminal scene.

In a predominantly male field, Angela stood out as the only woman, holding a high-ranking position in the building. Despite being in her early twenties, her beauty was unmistakable. With plump pink lips, a beauty mark near her upper lip, captivating cat-like eyes, and long, jet-black hair styled into bangs, she exuded sophistication. Colleagues like Wilson Cooper, a tall and handsome Australian man in his thirties, had a history of working closely with her on numerous cases, maintaining a professional demeanor amid their shared experiences. Wilson harbored deep feelings for Angela, evident in his attempts to move beyond the professional realm. Despite his affections, Angela maintained a strictly professional relationship with him, keeping him firmly in the friendzone. This dynamic introduced a hint of rivalry between Wilson and Shawn Andrews, who also expressed romantic interest in Angela. Shawn, often characterized as the player of the field, was confident and charming, leveraging his biracial background, striking brown eyes, beautiful smile, and impressive height to attract attention from women in the workplace.