Chapter 9

Kit was at counselling once more.

"Mr. Jai booked another session for you. He says you've been skipping classes. Avoiding your dad?" Bethany questioned.

Kit picked at the lace on her skirt. Angry at the fact that Amir had talked to Bethany, she had been trusting him and was trying to get over it because she knew he was doing what he thought was best

"Why have you been avoiding your dad?" She asked.

"Because I don't like him." Kit said as if it was obvious.

"What did he do to upset you? You can't dislike your parents for making rules and disciplining you."

"Parent." Kit corrected.

"Sorry?" Bethany questioned.

"Par... ent. Singular not plural." Kit repeated.

"Yes, sorry." She brushed it off. "However your dad is just trying to do what's best for you."

Kit nodded, not even bothered to speak.

"You must tell me how you feel. Otherwise I can't help you."

"I feel tired." Kit responded.

"Have you not been sleeping?" Bethany asked. Kit quickly thought of a lie to get her off her back.

"Yeah I have, it's just I'm not allowed to have the door of my room shut so as soon as my dad wakes up, so do I." Kit said with a fake smile.

"Well if you go to sleep at the same time, and wake up at the same time, I'm sure you'll start getting enough sleep."

"Yes, I'll do that." Kit smiled wider.

"Perfect. Maybe you and your dad could have a movie night." She suggested as if it was a fix all.

"Yeah, I'll ask him." She nodded.

"Well that sounds great." Bethany said, finishing up their conversation.

"Thank you" Kit said mockingly, not noticeable enough for Bethany to realise though. Kit stood up and walked out.

----

By lunchtime, the rain had become heavier. Kit didn't mind, she liked the rain. Kit walked into the cafeteria and toward the serving area. She cut to the front of the line, where you pay. She smiled at the server and leaned in close to her.

"Hey, do you have any spare food?" She asked, trying to figure out her lie, "I lost my lunch money, and I can't find my dad."

"The government lowered our food budget, we aren't allowed to give out food anymore, and I don't want to get fired. You might have to ask another kid." The server replied.

Kit's stomach dropped. What was she supposed to do. She hadn't eaten since Amir had given her money. She hadn't asked again, she didn't want to keep using him or worry him.

"That's okay, thanks." She said, not wanting to make a fuss. She could feel a deep pain in her stomach. The emptiness was unbearable. She had been sculling water trying to fill it.

Kit walked through the cafeteria. She looked around for someone she might be able to get money from, but she doesn't really have many friends, or acquaintance's. She peered under the tables. She spotted a few coins and started walking towards them, her exhaustion from not eating slowed her and some other kid grabbed them first. She walked out of the cafeteria, unsure of what to do. She looked around trying to compare her options. She knew Amir was her best bet, she didn't want to ask him for more money but even just being in his classroom made her feel safe.