Chapter 3

The schools cafeteria was bland, all the colour coming from the students clothing. There was a serving line right next to the large entrance, the doors were heavy so they were usually pinned open. There was a stage, the space was often used as an auditorium. There were tables with attached seats all throughout the space. It was lunchtime so the space was filled, students were scattered throughout. There were a few teachers, watching over the students but they were clearly distracted with their boredom. Felix, Alex and Nate were all sitting at a table together, Vanessa and Charlotte sat a few tables away. Charlotte wanted to sit in Felix's vicinity but not actually have to talk to him. 

"So you need help preparing for tonight." Alex said, smiling at Felix. Felix kept his head turned down, looking at his lunch tray.

"Nah," Felix said, trying to brush off the allegations. "We're just friends."

"Have you seen how she's dressed, she thinks something is happening." Nate said as he looked over towards there table, although his attention didn't seem to be on Charlotte.

"She wants to be your lover," Alex said articulating his mouth as he said lover, very close to Felix's face. "She is like one of the prettiest girls in school just kiss her. She's obviously obsessed with you, and she's way out of your league."

"Yeah, you can't pass up an opportunity like that." Nate said, gesturing back towards the girls table. Alex bumped Felix's shoulder and smiled. Felix smiled back tying to figure out what he was going to do.

Charlotte was a nice girl and all, and she was very pretty. But she wasn't Felix's type. He loved going to her house, it felt safe and warm, even though there were never any parents there. Luke and Charlotte's dad had died a few months earlier, and there mum chose travel over them. She sent them money, and paid for a maid, but that was the extent of her parenting. Felix had figured all of this out from what Charlotte had said, he didn't talk much when they hung out, he preferred to listen. Felix was closed of about his past, he never talked about it much, not even with his father. He had noticed the close relationship between Charlotte and her brother. Luke was much louder, he always had a beer in his hand or at the very least some junk food. Felix loved when Luke came into Charlottes room, he always smiled when he saw Charlotte, Felix loved that. 

"But her brother's bedroom is right next to hers." He complained, snapping out of his thought. He was desperately trying to tell them he wasn't interested in Charlotte. He never told anyone he was, they all just assumed he did because she was a 'pretty girl'.

"Have you seen how many dates he goes on?" Alex said gesturing with his head as he spoke. "I don't think he cares."

"Yeah remember when he got suspended for watching porn on the school wifi." Nate added.

"No one knows if that really happened." Felix said, trying to defend Luke. He wasn't sure why he felt the need to defend him, he hoped everyone assumed it was because he liked him out of solidarity with Charlotte.

Luke and Jordan walked into the cafeteria, laughing and being close to each other as they entered. They seemed to just be passing through, but they headed towards Charlotte's table. Felix looked over at Luke, watching as he grabbed Jordan's arm for stability while he laughed. After a few seconds he pulled his eyes away turning his head back to his lunch tray.

"Hey,"  Luke said, putting on his puppy dog eyes. "I need your lunch money."

Charlotte rolled her eyes, knowing what was coming.

"What did you spend it on?" She said, although she already new.

"Uhh, he gave it to me." Jordan said in a panic.