Chapter 2

Classroom with high benches, gas plugs and lab sinks. Metal stools that scraped along the linoleum floor when they are moved sat under each of the benches. There is a white board and a projector at the front of the class. The classroom had carts full of beakers and other science equipment. The dark clouds continued to loom. Multiple students wearing eyeglasses were sitting at desks already, but a few stragglers flowed in grabbing eyeglasses as they did. A middle aged average looking man with a beard also wearing eye glasses stood at the front of the class. Felix, Nate and Jackson sat among the students.

"So when we add the salt to the water we are adding a solvent to a...?" Mr. White said as his eyes searched the room for an answer. "Come on guys you know this."

"Excuse me sir?" Jackson says condescendingly.

"Yes." Mr. white says in response, knowing he was about to be asked a redundant question.

"Yeah," he began. "Why do we need to wear glasses to mix salt with water? I do this every time I boil pasta."

The kids chuckle after this comment. Felix flicks his eyes to the clock.

"That's enough guys. It's the school rules." Mr. White added, knowing he didn't understand either.

Mr. White continued his explanation, however Felix lost focus. His feelings for the people in his life taking over his mind, simultaneously wanting to act on and avoid his new emotions. Felix pulled out his phone, holding it between his legs under the table. He carefully checked where the teacher was in the classroom trying to avoid getting caught, he opened up his instagram messages.

Charlotte

How about 6?

Felix

Yeah, sounds good.

"Felix!" Mr. White shouted.

Felix, stunned, immediately clicked his phone off and turned it as he placed it between his thighs closing his legs to hide his phone.

"No phones. Bring it here" Mr. White added.

Felix got up, slouching as he walked towards the front of the classroom. He hesitantly handed his phone to Mr. White.

"Thank you." Mr. white said, rolling his eyes as Felix walked back to his desk.

----

The geography classroom was filled with desks so tight you have to walk single file between them. There were three rows of two desks. There is a whiteboard and a projector at the front of the room, a big window looking out on the field, a globe and lots of books. The dark clouds continued to float above, and it had begun to rain. Luke sat in the middle row of desks almost directly in the centre of the classroom, Jordan sat in the back left row. A middle aged woman was drawing a map on the white board, circling and writing notes in different places as she adjusted her glasses.

"Because of the way the equator sits, this area right here lives in complete darkness." She stated with no emotion. She continued on.

Jordan had started peering out the large window, distracted by anything to remove his mind from the numbing class he was in. As his eyes wandered he saw a frail boy walking across the field. The boy had a grey hoodie, with the hood up, and dark skinny jeans that were somehow still baggy. He kept his hands in his hoodie pocket as he walked, turning his head every so often to check he was alone.

"Oi." Jordan whispered, trying to get Luke's attention. He had to make a few different noises to get him to turn around.

"What?" Luke mouthed.

Jordan tilted his head gesturing to the window.

"Hugo... " Jordan whispered, so quiet it could barely be heard.