Chapter 15 - A Daunting Climb

© All Rights Reserved. Created by AbiPWriting.

I turned around to face the mountains of old research piled in the tiny room. Even the air smelt damp and dusty with each breath. I sighed, wiping off my palms on my pants. Time to look for whatever Eloria was mentioning.

I grabbed about twenty papers from the top of the rightmost stack, thumbing through them. I saw student data from examinations, at least fifty years old. There were old projects for improving the academy, building updates, and more. This couldn't be what Eloria was talking about... could it? Why would I be interested in old data of the academy?

I checked my watch and noticed around five minutes had passed. I need to focus.

I continued gently, but hurriedly, searching through each stack. Data, students, data, students, over and over again.

The overhead lightbulb began to flicker as if it might turn off any moment. I think Eloria is warning me to leave this room soon.

I decided to breeze through one more stack, when I saw it. A stapled document was entitled Voices of Deception: Cayus's Enchanters. I gently grabbed the papers, folding them and tucking it under my arm, my jacket covering their existence.

The light promptly went out and left me in the dark, where I practically squeaked in fear. I silent maneuvered to the door, wiggling my way out by opening the door as minimally as possible. Rotating my head both ways, I checked if the coast was clear of prying eyes.

Thankfully, no one was around or focused on me, and I darted out.

I resumed stocking my shelf with books, just as I had been before Eloria came over. I peered around, searching the library for her, but she was nowhere to be seen.

Weird. I guess she is probably tied up at the moment, back to whatever it is exactly that she does during her shift.

I desperately wanted to reach the document and search through the backroom more, but I would heed Eloria's advice. I trusted her and knew she wouldn't lie to me.

After stocking the endless pile of books, my watched pinged me that it was time for me to head over to my next class. I rolled the book cart back to it's resting area, leaving a few unshelved books upon it. Usually, I was able to put each one it is place before my volunteer hour was over. But today, I had been preoccupied. I bid farewell to staff, heading to my classes as usual.

-- That Evening --

After finishing for the day, I waited for Renor outside her class building. She had battle tactics last period, so I need she'd be in building seven. It was a large, gray building, picturing images of war throughout the history of our realm. From olden times to the present day. In the center sat the academy's insignia. Various bold hues of gray, blue, and white twisted together, forming the letters HNF, for High Naval Fleet. A small warship adorned the top of the letters. The insignia I'd seen daily for years.

Renor came out, chatting with another classmate, before parting ways once she spotted me.

"I wondered where we'd be meeting," she stated inquisitively.

"Me too. Since I got out early, I figured it would be best to come to you. I'm sure Soren will appear however he does," I stated.

She laughed. "Let's find your man tonight!"

I rolled my eyes, retorting, "He's not my man! Just my... Twin Flame." My face wrinkled in embarrassment, as that sounded worse that what I intended, causing Renor to chortle.

We began walking towards the detention center, when suddenly an unknown male student was giving us the deepest bow, his face hidden by his hunched over bowing position.