Chapter 12 - Fearful Hearts

© All Rights Reserved. Created by AbiPWriting.

Renor, Elias, and I were preparing to leave Cayus Island. The sun had almost fully risen in the vibrantly blue sky, coating the realm in shades of orange and yellow as it continued its path to the top. I think Cayus made the colors even more starkly contrasted and full of life.

"We can use one of my father's sailboats and we will get there in thirty minutes max with this baby. She is built for elemental Enchanters," Elias told us.

This new boat could possibly get us to Oirasora just before Morning Swim. Maybe we'd be a few minutes late, but that was better than nothing.

Soren stood off to the side, near the coast, without being in the sand. His hands were at his sides, fiddling with his shirt, twisting and turning its hem over in his hand. He seemed... nervous about something.

Renor reached out her arms and began waving farewell to Soren, who gave a small smile at that, the corners of his mouth lifting up. But, the smile did not fully reach his eyes. Something was off about him... sad even. Perhaps he would miss his brother, who was leaving so soon after arriving, but we'd be back in just three days.

The thought still echoed in my mind, turning into icicles, slowly jabbing and stabbing into me with each reminder. Three days.

I joined Renor, shrugging aside my thoughts for now, and started waving goodbye to Soren. Elias also bid his brother farewell.

"We will return shortly, brother. No need to look so blue," Elias stated to him.

"As if I was sad," he replied, his nose scrunching up in distaste. "I like being the brother in charge while you're away," he added through a wave.

Elias rolled his eyes at that, climbing into our new boat.

It was stunning. The boat was meant to fit a small family, I thought. It was crafted out of materials similar to the bricks on their house's wall, all-natural soil and wood weaved together by powerful Enchanters. Wave and rain patterns were painted throughout the boat, along with water twirls, swirls, and drops. They each came in various shades of blue. There were around five different sections of sails, white in color, along a wooden mast in the center of the boat.

I climbed in, holding out my hand for Renor to grab. Before I could, Soren was instantly there, holding out a hand. But it wasn't for me, as I was already on the boat. It was for... Renor.

Did Soren like Renor? Is this why he seemed so flustered around us? Because of her presence? I was beginning to think it had to do more with his emotional feelings versus her being a human or a Seer.

Renor's cheeks burned a bright red as she saw his hand rise to assist her into the boat. She waved him off, politely. "Dude, I am a trained naval fleet member. I've been in enough boats on my own," she told him.

Soren slowly dropped his hand, replying, "Whatever you wish."

Renor and I locked eyeballs with one another, wondering the same thought about whether Soren potentially had a little crush on my favorite human.

He turned his back, walking down the beach before he whooshed away with his wind magic. I could only assume he rejoined his normal place amongst the beautifully colored clouds.

Elias used his magic, holding out both hands, fingers spread far apart. He aimed his hands towards the tail end of our boat, propelling us at such a fast speed through the ocean. It was so much more intense than how we'd come. But this boat was built for Enchanter use, and it felt steady, hardly rocking with the waves. It stayed level somehow, probably due to whatever magic ran through its wood and soil foundation.