Chapter 9 - Keeping Secrets

© All Rights Reserved. Created by AbiPWriting.

Everyone was taken aback by the ear-piercing scream we'd just heard. Elias dropped the microphone and the academy swiftly moved into action. People were rushing around everywhere, but in organized chaos to assigned locations across campus.

All first-years memorized our emergency drills in their introductory courses. Due to the unknown nature of the scream, Sergeant Syklar ordered a code blue: our emergency defense drill. To be on the safe side, the academy would go into a defensive lockdown until we discovered the scream's source and origin. Never assume you weren't under attack until proven otherwise, our rules stated.

Renor and I went to the lookout tower to scan the campus, searching for where the scream occurred. We spotted a young female student, around ten years old, on the ground in front of an oak tree. The same one I sobbed under not too many days ago.

Together we radioed over, "Section 23, underneath the large oak tree, we believed we have found a young girl who may have screamed."

Sergeant Syklar copied back in acknowledgment and we took that as our cue to go to the girl. I had no idea where Elias had been instructed to go in emergencies, perhaps he was sent to the edge of the coast, to check our waterways.

The young student was curled up in a ball, hugging her legs tightly to her chest.

I crouched down to her level and gently said, "Hi sweetie. My name is Allegra, I'm an older classmate here. Are you okay? Can you tell me what's going on? Did you scream?" I tried giving her a small smile of reassurance.

The child only wailed more intensely. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Sergeant Syklar running over.

He recognized the student, calling her by name. "Mitsue, are you ok?" he asked.

She peaked her head over, looking over her arms. "T-t-there was something here. I think it cut my a-a-arm," she whispered in a panic.

Sergeant Syklar bent down and nodded in understanding. "I see. Can you hold out the arm to me please, so I can take a look?" he asked.

She did so, and to my horror, none other the purple blood coated her arm. It's couldn't have been her blood. But, the Joji's that night... It was identical. A shiver tore through my spine.

I could tell my sergeant was confused. "Mitsue, this isn't blood. Did you spill some type of juice? Dye?" he pressed.

I wasn't sure what to do. Do I explain about the Joji? Do I say nothing? Would Sergeant Syklar even believe me?

Elias somehow appeared to my right, his lips pursed into a thin line. I didn't realize when he'd come to stand beside me as I was so focused on Sergeant Syklar and Mitsue.

I glanced at him, asking with my eyes, as if pleading on what to do. He subtly shook his head so slowly that I almost missed it.

Elias waved a hand gently, turning the water in the child's glass purple in color.

I watched Sergeant Syklar peer behind the child, seeing what looked like grape juice in a cup. He wiped of her arm with a cloth, and when no red blood appeared, he let out a relieved sigh. Picking up his radio, he announced, "False alarm. Resume activities as normal."

Renor looked hard at Elias and I, her eyes flickering in unanswered questions. I could tell she didn't believe it was juice. She knew that we had knowledge, but didn't reveal it. She trusted me, but would question us later.

We all resumed our daily routines, without mentioning the campus's lockdown. Usual classes and training went on as normal.

Afterwards, Renor, Elias, and I met on the beach that night, skipping dinner. I brought a few ham sandwiches from the cafeteria to hand out. Renor brought a few bottles of water.