Chapter 4 - Nightime Whispers

© All Rights Reserved. Created by AbiPWriting.

I peered through the small, rectangular window on Elias's bunk quarters. I tried to scan each bunk to find which one exactly was his, but it was to no avail. The window was just too miniature to do any justice to such a large room.

I took a deep breath in and slowly pushed it out. Training exercises were way harder than this, like crawling through a simulation battleground with barbed wire.

Why did this affect my nerves in such a way then? Perhaps because I'd never done such a bold, rule-breaking action before, except for when I tried to visit the mysterious country -- or Cayus Island -- as Elias had labeled it.

I slowly pushed the door open, which made the most obnoxious eeeeekkkkkkk sound and it reverberated throughout the room. I dove back behind the door, hidden by the exterior wall's cover.

I heard a few of the boys shift in their bunks, maybe even a few start to stand up and head to the door. Shit, I thought. I whipped my head around the hallway and spotted a nearby bathroom. Perfect. I sprinted fast and deadly silent towards it.

I hid right behind the inside wall, so I didn't have to go fully in the boy's bathroom. But this way at least, no one who went out in the hall could see me. I kept my back facing the stalls, when I heard that rumbling laugh.

I gradually turned my head. Elias. Of course.

"What are you doing here? Won't you get in trouble if some catches you. I can only assume--," he was saying fretfully as I interrupted.

"Yes. I can. But I have some questions for you, Mr." I demanded. I swore that his face looked as if he had just seen a ghost, turning almost as pale as paper in some areas. I wasn't sure it was a look of guilt or embarrassment.

He nodded. "I understand. I am sure you have questions. But right now is probably not the best time. If we were caught here, especially in the restroom, this would not look so good. You do realize the showers are over their towards your right. How would that look, if we were seen coming out of this area together?" he asked.

"I get it. But you... you did something to me. How did I just black out?" I hissed.

"Allegra," he stated firmly, "I cannot tell you now."

I wanted to scream. To punch the wall behind me. What is this man's problem? What does he mean he can just knock me out somehow and I don't get to know what happened.

"That is not good enough. I want to know," I insisted with curled fists.

He held up his hands, a feigned picture of handsome innocence. "Ok. I hear you. During tomorrow's training, I can explain some of the things that occurred," he said.

I shot him a look of a thousand daggers. Cold. Demanding. "You better. And I want my 100 Riys at the same time," I replied.

He gave me a crooked Naval Fleet salute with a lopsided grin. "Best time you get going. It's 3:00 AM, little lady," he added. I scowled at him again but nodded in agreement. "Call me that again though," I said, "And you won't like what comes next."

I heard his laugh echoing throughout the bathroom as I peered out and darted down the hallway, aiming for the front door, when I crashed into Sergeant Syklar. He gave me a glare of death and I trembled to my core.

Sergeant Syklar was never in a good mood, so I couldn't imagine him angry.

"Do I even  want to know why you're here, Allegra?" he demanded. I gave an anxious laugh. "Well, you see, I had a really urgent question for---," I tried to say as he interrupted. "I don't want to know. But this is your one and only freebie from me, young lady. If I hear anything about you stepping out of line otherwise this week, I won't hesitate to bring up our joyous 3:00 AM meeting, do you understand?  Do not let me catch you here again," he said strictly.