Chapter 8 - Clarity and Trials

© All Rights Reserved. Created by AbiPWriting.

Morning Swim didn't feel the same anymore. I loved swimming, don't get me wrong. But after Elias and I swam together, under the cover of a thousand stars, training didn't feel as fulfilling. As healing.

Our time together almost felt freeing. A universe away from everything I'd learned of the Joji and with the comforting memories of my mother. What she looked like. Even a little glimpse into her personality.

I wanted to replay those scenes in my head over and over, to live in my own little bubble. But, I can't. If I ignore the problem forever, maybe the Joji would begin to target me as their next victim, especially if they realized I was Soul Healer. I'm not sure if they do already know. A shiver chilled my spine.

Renor and I were having lunch together as per usual after Morning Swim. I wanted her guidance, her opinion, and slightly wished she could direct me on what to do. Renor always knew what was best and gave me her honest opinions, wether I'd like it or not.

We waited in the line together, milling over what options we preferred to eat.

"Chicken or pork," Renor asked, raising a quizzical brow.

"I had pork yesterday, so I'm going with the chicken. Plus, I'm pretty sure its deep fried today," I beamed, flashing her two thumbs up.

Renor chuckled at my joyous expression over simple fried chicken, but it was rare for the dining hall to ever serve fried food. Probably because we needed to eat healthy and support our muscles with our high intensity training.

"Did you hear Elias is taking his orientation exam today with Sergeant Syklar? It's at 1:00 PM today. Classes are canceled for the hour in hopes the student body will come spectate his trial. Plus, we need to decide wether we accept or reject him into our class year based upon the results," Renor stated.

I forgotten that Elias would have his orientation exam so soon with everything going on. Everything he'd told me. I'd been so focused on my own life the past few days.

Part of me was nervous. If he passed, he would qualify to attend the get-together ball at the end of this week. If he failed, he'd be rejected and forced to pack his bags to return home. I doubted the school knew he came from Cayus Island. Heck, the school didn't even know the name of Cayus Island. I pondered, how exactly he'd been let in. Maybe some type of his magical hocus-pocus abilities, I thought sarcastically.

I piled multiple pieces of chicken onto my plate, barely leaving room for any other food groups. "True. To be honest, I've had so much on my mind lately, I didn't even realize his exam was today. Or maybe I forgot," I replied.

"No way girl. It was announced a little before lunch. So don't worry about it," she added.

A wave of relief washed over me. I was glad that I was still focused on the academy and not too distracted from everything.

"I feel confident he'll pass. He's strong and didn't need my guidance at all really," I said looking at Renor.

She was creating her own, miniature pyramid of fried chicken on my plate. "Right! Have you SEEN that man's muscles---" she tried to say.

I couldn't contain the laughter bubbling up inside me. It exploded out like a volcanic eruption and interrupted Renor's sentence.

"What?!" she cried out.

"You built a literal pyramid out of chicken. How can I not laugh?" I exclaimed.

"You're not better! Look at your plate," she replied in a counter-argument.