Chapter 6 - Racing Thoughts

© All Rights Reserved. Created by AbiPWriting.

I awoke with a gasp at the sound of my alarm. My mind was still anxious from my multiple nightmares last night of the Joji. I quivered at the thought of it speaking to me. The fact that it was a demon.

Renor was already up and out of her bunk. I felt relieved I wouldn't have to explain my current emotional state to her. With a sigh, I began getting ready for the day and only one thing on my mind: to get more answers from Elias about my mother and me.

At Morning Swim, I discovered Elias had been put with a different instructor for the day. He wouldn't be in Renor and I's class.

"Bummer," said Renor. "Awfully convenient, isn't it? You think Elias requested to switch to another instructor today so he wouldn't have to interact with me?" I questioned.

"Honestly, he could have. But I doubt it. It's his orientation, his first few days here, so he needs to meet all of the instructors and professors," said Renor.

"Okay," I said as Renor raised an eyebrow at me, "Not like you to fret over a male," she voiced.

"It's not that, I swear. I just have some urgent questions for him," I expressed.

"Okay, okay. If you say so, I believe it! Just glad you aren't becoming boy crazy," Renor said.

I stuck out my tongue at her and laughter ripped through the two of us. What would I do without you, Renor?

- - - - -

At lunch, I scanned every nook and cranny of the cafeteria. Every table and seat. Still, Elias was nowhere to be found. I really began to believe he was purposely avoiding me... or at least our unfinished conversation.

Renor had training during my lunch hour today, so I ended up eating alone. I decided to make use of my time by studying some new battle maneuvers for my strategies class. There was always a test or quiz coming up in that course.

Though my eyes saw the words on the pages, I couldn't focus on them. I couldn't digest the information properly as my mind was a constant whirlwind.

My mother was cursed. She had magic. Power. Even true love. Why was she cursed? Did she deserve it? Was it necessary? And even more so, why didn't Cayus Island come for me sooner, if they really wanted me to 'return home' I debated.

Finally, Elias strolled into the cafeteria. None other than Xenia herself was at his side. My eyes widened in absolute horror at the sight. No way! He is actually avoiding me, and for Xenia of all people? Did he make this up just to go tell Xenia some similar fancy tale? What exactly is going on here?!

Elias's eyes somewhere found mine, and for just a moment, they seemed to plead 'I'm sorry' until he went back to his cheerful stupor with Xenia.

I shook my head repeatedly. No way... Elias... hanging out and smiling with that wicked Xenia?

I angrily picked up my tray and threw all my uneaten food into the garbage can, slamming my tray down on the return belt. I was angry. So angry. Elias was potentially avoiding me for her and I couldn't even ask him about the questions weighing down on my mind. The worst part was that he seemed to be thoroughly pleased by Xenia's presence, except for the past moment when our eyes met.

Perhaps I'm delusional and created that scene in head just to comfort myself. Maybe our eyes didn't even meet... maybe I simply wanted them to.

I headed straight to Sergeant Syklar's office and knocked on his door. "Sir?" I asked through the door.

"What is it, Allegra?" he replied in question.

"I want some extra training exercises to do."

He opened the door to his office. "Say less," he said with a smirk upon his face.