Chapter 3 - An Appearance

© All Rights Reserved. Created by AbiPWriting.

I worked on cataloging new books for our library. Some were for studying, others for leisure, and even a few romance novels were hidden away by the librarians. If I had free time, I didn't mind reading the heroic love tales.

The library was a good size with about fifty shelves of books, spread between two floors. It featured five staff members total, two on each floor, and a supervisor left to roam. Maybe after I retired from the fleet, I could work here as a librarian. Maybe even write something.

I peered over my shoulder at the sound of the doors opening. There stood Elias. I checked my watch and saw it had been forty minutes, which wasn't thirty, I thought with a smile.

Elias went over to the reception desk to inquire about battle tactic novels and where they were located, which was of course at the shelf I was stocking. He leisurely strolled over. "Forty minutes," I spoke. "Not so bad after all." He shot me a proud smile. "But," I said, "Looks like you owe me 100 Riys."

Elias stated, "I sure do. By the way, do you have any recommendations on war history or strategic battle maneuvers, or will it cost me a fee?"

I pointed to the top shelf. "Third book from the left. It's one we study in the lower grades. Features basic knowledge that will get you off to a good start," I informed him.

He grabbed the book and gave a hearty thanks while walking over to a desk to study. I watched him turn on the desk light. There was just something about his hair, and his eyes, that just seemed different. I couldn't place my finger on what it was. He looked as if he heard my thoughts and asked with a wry smile, "Am I that beautiful?"

"As if!" I said promptly and continued stocking shelves. My watch beeped, giving its ten-minute warning to head over to my next class. I headed towards the exit and peered over my shoulder at Elias one last time before I left.

Today's class was focused on geography and studying about the neighboring countries, except for the mysterious one. It reminded me of when a few years back, I tried to go there myself. It has already been five years now. Maybe I could try again to get a small glimpse. Just to go there once.

Thus, I decided to skip dinner. I took a walk out to the beach and peered into the tall grasses, jutting out of the dunes. I had made a small sailboat and hidden it there, similar to my original boat. But this one was stronger. Its sail was larger. I hadn't gone since the incident, but I kept my options open. Just in case.

With the Fleet's ball coming around the corner, people were distracted with planning and organizing. On the other hand, those who weren't part of the event staff, were all at dinner. Now was my chance to slip out unnoticed.

"And what exactly would a lady like yourself be doing here, so late into the night?" someone asked. I whipped around, but only saw blackness. "Who's there?" I inquired as I stood my ground. No one came out of the shadows. Perhaps it was Elias, playing some sick joke on me.

"I am not Elias," the voice said, as if I somehow spoke the words. I was sure I had thought of them. "You did indeed think those words. But that does not hinder me. Your mind is like an open book, begging to be read," the voice said.

"Seriously, not funny. Who's there?" I cried out.

I felt a narrow, bony hand grasp my shoulder. "Girl, you should know who I am. I'm—," It was cut off by Elias. He countered, "Nothing you'll be meeting anytime soon," he said firmly.

I saw him walk out towards the waves, towards me, and grab something in the air. "Turn around," he instructed. I did as he said. I heard a blade slash through the air, and the unknown being cried out. I turned around, but still, nothing was there. Elias's blade dripped with blood as he exhaled. I thought it was blood, but it was a strange purple-ish color. Like the faint purple found in Elias's hair and eyes. "What... what was that? Why can't I see it?"