Chapter 7 - A Mother's Embrace

© All Rights Reserved. Created by AbiPWriting.

Elias and I had walked all the way to the coast where he defended me against the Joji that night. The sea-foam green waves were gently breaking and crashing against the sand, leaving a trail of shells in their wake. Elias picked up a flower petal-shaped shell in various shades of purple. He pressed it into the palm of my hand and said "A unique gift, for a unique lady."

I felt the heat rising into my cheeks, my heart racing. "Thank you," I said with a slight bow of my head in his direction.

We took a seat in front of the ocean's waves, with freezing water slowly brushing against our toes. At first, I tensed against the coldness, but slowly the temperature adjusted to a comfortable level.

"So tell me," I began, "about my mother." I met my eyes with his, unwavering, unblinking.

"Why tell you, when I could show you?" he asked with a wry grin.

"What do you mean 'show me'? Like a photograph?" I replied.

He shook his head and said, "No. I can use some of my general abilities to show what I know. Think of it like a miniature movie, playing out only in our heads, but only of my memories."

I didn't really comprehend what he described. Since my mother died when I was so young, I couldn't visualize her face. I couldn't see her. My father's wrath over her passing lead to the burning of any of her photos. He wanted to completely remove her presence from our lives, but I was a stark reminder of their previous relationship.

Elias gently pressed two fingers against the small space in-between my eyebrows, like the day he made me black out. "Relax," he muttered. "I'm not making you sleep this time."

I flashed him a scowl in reply.

"Close your eyes and I'll show you another world," Elias whispered.

I did so and suddenly numerous stars ran throughout my eyes. They all were various shades of purple or back, dark or light, patterned or plain. The sight was just beautiful to behold.

The stars slowly spread apart as if making a pathway and there stood a young woman, perhaps twenty-two years of age. She had flowing, honey colored locks down her back, slightly curled on the ends. Her eyes were a bright emerald green color, ablaze with the passions of life.

"Your mother," Elias stated.

She was so... perfect. My mother looked too perfect to be a human, but if you didn't know any better, one could only assume she was the most beautiful lady you'd ever laid eyes upon. We had the same eyes. The same hair. Almost... identically.

My mother was climbing into a tiny, one person rowboat. She had two oars, no sails, and only the illuminated sky above her full of dazzling black and purple stars. The ones I saw in the beginning, I realized.

"Odette, wait, please," a young boy's voice begged.

My mother stepped before my eyes -- the child's eyes, or Elias's childhood memory, I realized.

"Elias, sweetie. I'll return soon I promise. Just remember, don't tell your mother I'm leaving," she replied, pressing a finger against her lips. "You promised," she added, raising a brow in question.

Young Elias burst into tears. "B-b-but you're the only healer on our island. We need you, to defend against the Joji and the other demons. I'm afraid!" he cried out.

My mother enveloped Elias into a hug.

"I'll come home soon, I promise. But there's someone I need to see again. You'll be safe, my dear, and please keep our promise," she replied.