Reclaiming old friends

Start from the beginning

---

           Gem's breathing caught in her throat as she stared at all the hermits. At first no one said anything. Then they simultaneously rushed forward to hug her.

           "Gem, where were you?!"

           "Gem, we were so worried!"

           "Don't disappear like that!"

           "We thought you abandoned us!"

           "No we didn't."

           "Don't give me a heart attack like that again!"

           Gem started as she realized how much all the hermits cared about her. None of them seemed to care that she was a Watcher. With tears in her eyes she tried to hug everyon but there were a lot of hermits. "Thanks, you guys." She managed to say.

           "Doc?" Grian called, and the creeper and goat hybrid appeared right next to him as if summoned. "We're rebuilding Grumbot and we need your help." Doc curtly nodded. "I've already been gathering supplies from Gobland." He said. "By the way, the goblin is here and maybe he could help." fWhip popped up next to him. "At your service." He said jovially but with a serious undertone. "I'm doing whatever I can to help my fellow emperors and our empires."

           He glanced at Gem and started slightly. "You look different." He said. "It's the overalls, isn't it?" Gem said. fWhip reached out and hugged her like a toddler; the short goblin only came up to her waist. "I missed you." He said simply and Gem hugged him back. "I missed you too." She said.

           So the four of them got to work rebuilding Grumbot. Grian was really the only one who knew how so he was the one to mainly give the instructions. About halfway Gem stopped bothering trying to understand what she was even doing and just did as she was told, using a little Watcher magic to help. After a day or two, they had a giant mustachioed face coming out of the top of Hermitopia.

           Gem frowned at the closed eyes and general unresponsiveness of whatever it was that they had just built. "Shouldn't he be awake?" fWhip asked Grian. "Grumbot, wake up!" Grian shouted, banging lightly on the mustachioed face. Nothing happened. "Let me try something," Gem said, and with that she activated her Watcher magic on Grumbot.

           There was a clanking noise and then Grumbot opened its eyes. "Grian," He said in a cold, mechanical voice, "Where is Mumbo?" Grian cracked a smile. "He's not in this world, buddy. Sorry. But anyway, we need your help." There was not esponse for a second as Grumbot seemed to be processing new information.

           "Why do I feel different?" He asked. "Gem, what exactly did you do?" Doc frowned. "I was just trying to wake him up." Gem said. "I feel... more powerful." Grumbot declared. "Okay, Gem, I don't think that was what you intended to happen... but can you fix it?" False asked warily, backing away from the giant head.

           "Should we fix it?" Grian pondered. "I mean, maybe now that Grumbot's charged with Watcher energy, maybe he can overpower the Watchers." He thought for a second and then activated his Watcher powers on the AI too. There was brief silence and then Grumbot said in a pleased voice, "Do that again." "Sorry, I think we can only do this once." Gem said hastily. Grumbot blinked at her intimidatingly.

           "Very well." He replied. He paused. "Where is Mumbo?" He asked again. "Not in this world." Doc said. There was an even longer pause. "Grian, what is my purpose without Mumbo?" Grumbot asked. "Uh... protect this world from the Watchers." Grian said quickly. Grumbot sighed sadly. "I want Mumbo." He said. "Yeah, me too." Grian agreed.