Spying

Grian looked at False, who seemed to be internally panicking. He'd never really known False to panic; the hermit had always been at least somewhat calm and collected even during a crisis. But now, at the news that she might have to deal with her rogue clone again, she looked like she was reliving a nightmare.

           Grian gently touched her shoulder and patted it reassuringly. "Don't worry, False, maybe the other you didn't mean anything by what she said." Inside he knew that what he said probably wasn't true but False needed some reassurance. She didn't seem too keen on accepting it, though.

           "No, she definitely meant something bad when she said it." False said firmly. She looked at the other hermits surrounding her. "Can you guys come with me and double check on my clone?" "Why not? Sounds like fun." Gem said easily. Grian and Cub nodded as well. "Thanks," False smiled. "Now come on, if we hurry we can get to Cogsmeade before she wakes up."

           They all grabbed their elytras and flew toward the mountainous empire, making sure to stay out of sight as well as they could. Soon they reached False's surveillance tower and they got inside after False used her keycard to unlock the door.

           "Do we just sit around and wait now?" Grian asked, twitching slightly and already feeling bored. "You can take first watch if you want, Grian," False said. "Just use the telescope and spy on her." "For the record spying seemed cooler in the movies." Grian grumbled after an hour or two of nothing happening.

           "How about we play I Spy?" Gem suggested. "I'll go first. I spy something red and fishy." Everyone glanced at each other for a second, and then glanced at Grian. "What?" He asked, then he looked down at his sweater and his reflection in the window. "Oh."

           Everyone laughed. "Who won that time?" Grian asked. "Definitely not you; you were the last one to figure it out," Gem said with a wry grin. "Hey, no fair, I'm the one you were I Spying!" Grian protested. "That doesn't mean you win!" Gem said, and she laughed even harder.

           "Well, fine, I go next." Grian said, unable to stay mad at Gem for too long. "I spy something murdery wearing white." False immediately ran to the window and craned to see through her clone's house's window. "Other desensitized murderer," Grian snorted, and Gem laughed. "I spy me." She said. "I win."

           "Hey, no fair, you said I couldn't spy myself!"

           "That time you were the last to find out!"

           "That doesn't count!"

           "Of course it doesn't count; it doesn't count as a win for you. Glad we agree."

           "Wha- hey, no way! Gem!" Grian protested again once his muddled mind wrapped around what the elf had said. Everyone laughed at the interactions between the two hermits.

          "Grian, are you still spying on my clone or are you just playing I Spy?" False asked irritatedly. "Way to ruin the mood, False," Grian grumbled, putting his eye against the telescope again. "We were just having fun," Gem said. "We were supposed to be watching my clone." False sighed.

           "Isn't she technically your twin? Sort of?" Cub asked, frowning. "Off topic tangent, Cub." False said sternly. "Well, can't they have a little fun?" Cub asked, gesturing at Gem and Grian. They both instantly nodded innocently, batting their eyes cutely like baby dolls.

           "What are you two doing?" False asked sharply, staring at their eyes. "Stop that; it's creepy." "We'll stop if you let us play," Grian said teasingly. "I mean, the other False is still asleep; I don't see any problem with cutting some slack while she's not doing anything wrong." Cub said slowly and convincingly.