16 - Decoy

Question: We've seen a lot of Dream panics and nightmares but what about Nighty himself ? What about when he realised that Dream never really understood his years before that incident and maybe the incident itself ? What about when Error first took him for a day ? And when it was not just Error who took him away ? When the treat to lose his brother again became real ?

Answer: Hehehehe..

Question about the rescuing Dream chapter: But I thought that would have been a great moment to have a burst in his power maybe ?

Answer: Well, that was a missed opportunity, but if you'll recall, there was a magic blocker active at the time; that would have caused more headaches than it's worth. 

Question: since he is seven here and eight in the last chap, this whole arc is happening before Dream went to rescue the gang with Swap ? And a dragon attacking at Christmas ? That is a new tradition...

Answer: Well, the last chapter happened before the Christmas special, but from here on out, we're going to be post-special. I am eventually going to change the chapter order around to make things chronological, but I didn't want to confuse anyone on Ao3, since notifications there aren't as straightforward as Wattpad's. And dragons attacking at Christmas is definitely not a new tradition for Nightmare, hehe! As for the arc in question? Well, it's about to start, so buckle up!

Comments are welcome and appreciated!

Please enjoy!

~~~~~

I was eight and a half years old. Things were okay, I believed. No one had tried to kidnap me, at least, and that was good. I didn't like being kidnapped. I was getting better with my training, and now I was really good at making magic attacks! I could even do a little sparring practice, as long as I was careful! Apparently, being a Guardian made my magic really strong, and if I hit someone just right, it would hurt them a lot; I didn't want to hurt anyone! I made sure not to hit anyone, just to be safe! As for weapon training, I had found that I liked using a bow; it let me stay farther from conflict while also being helpful to me! Of course, I was never involved in real fights; Nighty didn't want anyone to harm me! Nighty would keep me safe. Of course, I didn't just train; I also had tons of fun! Swapyrus always had new tricks to show me, and he even helped me with pranks, sometimes! I was glad that Nighty had put him in the dungeon so long ago - he was a great friend. Of course, he wasn't in the dungeon anymore; Nighty had let him go after seeing what great friends we were, and Swapyrus now just visited every once in a while. He couldn't tell anyone that we were friends, though - it was a secret! Overall, I was happy, and life was good.

"I have some bad news." Nighty entered the living room with a grim expression.

"Uh..what's wrong, Nighty?" I wondered, tilting my skull; was there a mess that needed cleaning? Maybe the others had to go out instead of watching a movie with me.. 

"How bad we talking?" Killer questioned, since he was with me; the whole gang and Robin were with me.

"Very bad, Killer.." Nighty sat down in his chair, letting out a sigh. 

"Do we have to skip movie night?" I hoped that was all..

"There's a rumor going around the multiverse that Dream is the Guardian of Positivity.."

..That wasn't good. 

"He's not ready.." Cross was worried; everyone was. "We need more time.."

"I know." Nightmare nodded. "I know, and I have a plan..I just.."

"What do you need, Nighty?" I hopped from my seat to give him a hug. "We can get it! I-it'll be okay!" 

"We need to dispel this rumor." Nighty held me close. "And I think the only way to do that is to make a Guardian of Positivity.."