Chapter 9

It was the next day and we were back in the cafeteria for dinner. I was moving along the lunch line as the workers put food on our trays, I couldn't help but think to myself if anything in the place was safe. If the food was safe, the drinks, anything. I can't trust anything anymore.

"Next." Says the worker, and I moved on and I overheard Lloyd and Kai talking, "Well, I know what we are being served. A whole bunch of baloney. This isn't a fighting tournament. It's an alibi for Chen to steal everyone's powers. But we still don't know why." Says Lloyd, "Isn't it obvious? Chen wants to destroy New Ninjago City. I don't know what it is, but that place has had a string of bad luck." Kai replied and I sighed, "what's with every villain wanting to destroy ninjago so bad.l? What will they even gain by destroying a city?" I asked.

"I'm not so sure. From what Sensei G's told us about him, I have a feeling it's something far more sinister" Cole relied as the worker put two biscuits on my tray, "And may I remind us, we still don't know where Zane is, which is why we all need to take care of our first rounds to give us more time. Don't look at me. I've already moved on." Says Jay, which made me shake my head, "the more rounds, the more people lose. The more people lose, the more power Chen steals. Like I said, it's a slippery slope."

"It's still our safest option." Cole said before turning to talk to Jay, "Your opponent got himself kicked out." Cole says, and Jay chucked and turned to the cafeteria worker, "Extra creamy biscuits. And don't skimp." The worker filled his tray with at least 10 biscuits and we began to walk back.

"Taking a day off? And here I thought ninja never quit." Cole retorted, as I walked in front of the pair, "And I used to think a ninja wouldn't steal your girlfriend." Jay replied with equal pettiness and I rolled my eyes as they started to argue, "girls, girls, you're both pretty. Can you two shut up now?" I taunted the pair as Garmadon looked at both of them, "Whatever you have to say to each other, say it now, because harboring grudges hurts no one but yourselves." Garmadon said and I nodded in agreement.

"He's right. You should be preparing to fight your next opponent, not each other." Lloyd told them, and he was absolutely right.

"What grudge? I already dropped it." Cole shouted, which made Jay look at him in annoyance, "I dropped it first!" Jay said and I sighed in annoyance, and Cole got angrier "Did not!"

"Did too!" They began to shove each other when Jay dropped his tray, his drink flying towards me but someone pulled me back just in time. I expected it to my Lloyd but I saw Turner, the master of speed, looking at me with his infamous grin. "You're welcome, princess." He said before taking off, I looked around, confused, "what…"

I glanced at Lloyd and saw him looking away, trying to hide his annoyance. That's when the intercoms went off, "The tournament of Elements continues. Fun time! Would the following Masters please make their way to their assigned arena? Speed, Gravity, Smoke, Nature, Mind, oh, and last and hopefully not least…" it was Chen, he was giving out the names of who would be fighting in today's tournament, "Huh, maybe we all got the day off." Says Jay, but that was before Chen announced the last competitor, "fire!" Everyone gasped but me, I knew this would come soon. "Remember, only one can remain."