fifty

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter fifty.

HER THUMB TRACED CIRCLES on the side of the mug that was radiating warmth from her morning coffee

HER THUMB TRACED CIRCLES on the side of the mug that was radiating warmth from her morning coffee. Hunter was a disheveled mess in that moment, eyes surrounded by dark circles and hair sticking out wildly even after brushing it.

In front of her, Buck stood at the stove, a spatula in hand as he mixed the scrambled eggs that were in the cooking pan. Turning around slowly, Buck leaned against the counter and looked at Hunter, "you promise me you'll talk to him today?"

He had awoken before she had, oddly enough. And Buck had decided it was for the best to let her sleep in a little longer this morning after last night. Hunter knew he was being softer, more gentle than normal with her— as if he was trying to protect her from unraveling again.

Hunter, unsurprisingly, was completely prepared to pretend as if her confession of words that she had yelled last night were nothing but a fever dream. Unfortunately, Buck wasn't about to let that happen.

Hunter froze, her eyes almost glaring at Buck as her hands fell to rest on the counter, "don't make me promise that," she squinted her eyes at him.

Buck sighed out, eyes shifting between her and the eggs, "it's not something to be ashamed of," he told her, "he can't be that bad."

"You get forced into a room with a man you don't like for an hour every week and tell me it's not that bad," she pointed a finger at him, referencing Dr. Bailey. Hunter wouldn't make a promise like that, especially one that she really didn't want to have to keep.

"No one ever said you have to like it," he reminded her, "just, uh, keep remembering anything you say to him stays with him—"

"Buck, darling, I have a hard time talking to the people I do like. You can see why the given situation is a problem then," she sarcastically told him with a fake grin.

Buck turned the stove off with a flick of his wrist, "just promise you'll try it," he stepped forward, in one hand he held the steaming frying pan but the other hand was extended out with this pinky finger in the air.