nineteen

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter nineteen.

AS SOON AS THE CLICK OF THE LOCK on her apartment door signaled the departure of Alexa, Hunter turned and faced Kyle, "You gonna tell the whole story now?"

Kyle stood up from his seat at the bar stool, Miranda and Hunter following as they moved into what would be considered the living room. "Kevin was giving his speech when a group of men in blue security shirts moved in with HK's. Got Kevin first. Took the gun off of his body and returned fire. Miranda led the wives out while Ali and I went after the remaining shooters. Someone from across the street put a slug into Ali's left arm."

The fear and panic Kyle had felt in that moment was unmatched to anything he experienced in service. The screams of civilians, his friends and family, nearly drove him to be unable to think. Watching Kevin Campbell fall lifeless while accepting the highest military honor had broken him. His voiced reflected that, hoarse and empty as he spoke.

Hunter sat down in the arm chair, an iced glass of whiskey in her hands as she listened to his story, "Ali went to a hospital, he was fine, we all saw him there. Then they moved to transfer him but someone shot up the ambulance."

It was premeditated, they want Ali dead. Him specifically or else they wouldn't have hunted him down.

The blonde looked away in shock, running her tongue over her teeth in distian. Miranda, holding Kyle's hand, spoke up, "A bunch of terrorists looking to kill some Marines."

"Not some Marines," Kyle contridicted, "Us."

From her spot in the arm chair, Hunter watched as Kyle dug into the pocket of his jean jacket, pulling out a small worn down box of matches.

"You've gotta be kidding me," She muttered, eyes wide as she spied the familiar cardboard.

Hemland Providence, Afghanistan, 2016

"This is 3-2," Gunnery Sargent Hunter Callahan identified herself over the comm, "I got eyes on Abu Waheed."

"3-Actual, you have the green light," Her captain let her know as she laid next to Donny watching over the city.