four

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter four.

HUNTER LOOKED ACROSS THE table incredulously at Maddie

HUNTER LOOKED ACROSS THE table incredulously at Maddie. "you want me to... what?"

Maddie sighed, "Look, Chimney and- and  Albert are going to be there-"

"So why do I have to be?"

"I think our parents may have a little bit more respect for Buck if he has a woman by his side..." Maddie trailed off, looking up at the ceiling as she tried to find words, "And I would like another medically trained adult that knows how to save a life."

Apparently, Maddie had invited the senior Buckley's to California. Hunter had gathered that Maddie wanted to raise her child to have a normal family life and if that meant suffering the presence of her parents, then so be it. They had already crossed state lines and even had a night with Maddie and Buck. Now came the dinner.

"Can't Buck just like, I don't know... skip it?"

"No," Maddie said directly, raising her voice to show that was not an option, "He cannot avoid our parents, he has to be there. Besides do you know how hard it would be to avoid them?"

"Not hard at all," Hunter said with a wave of her hand, "I lied to my family two Thanksgivings in a row, one year I said I was getting my gallbladder out and the next was an appendicitis."

Maddie gave Hunter a blank look, "Please, do it for baby Buckley-Han."

That was so unfair. How was Hunter supposed to say no when Maddie brought the baby into it. Maddie smirked as she already knew she won. Hunter was working her way into the ranks of favorite aunt and it was a tough competition with Hen and Karen in the running.

"What even am I supposed to do?" asked Hunter, genuinely unsure of the task Maddie wanted completed.

"You just need to... be there? Stop a fight, maybe, and pretend to like Buck," Maddie answered but her tone made it sound like she wasn't all that sure.

"Stop a fight? Have you met me," Hunter rhetorically asked with a laugh but quickly shut her mouth when she saw the look the eldest Buckley was giving her. Hunter let out an exasperated sigh, "Fine."