thirty one; hunter begins

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter thirty one.
hunter begins, pt. one.

ATHENA GRANT WOULDN'T BE able to forget that day

ATHENA GRANT WOULDN'T BE able to forget that day. She wouldn't forget the look on her husband's face as he sat in the hospital waiting room, ignoring the questions that Chimney and Hen threw at him one after another. She wouldn't forget the way Kyle Dobbs stood frozen over the body of the dead Chechen sniper. And she would never be able to forget the sight of the page and bloodied Hunter Callahan as her breathing slowed on the ground while Buck held her tight.

Everything after had been a blur. From the moment the helicopter had sent down a stretcher it seemed as if time had begun moving at light speed.

The hospital had warned those waiting of the dangers, the fact that a gun shot wound had gone improperly treated for hours did not help Hunter's chances.

Eddie sat in a chair with Chris in his lap, curled up into a ball as the sun head begun setting. The Diaz man had not been there when they had found the injured Callahan, as he was still recovering from the shot to his shoulder. For once, Chris had not been able to make him feel better.

Buck laid slackened in a chair with his legs stretched out and face blank, a hand running over his tired features. The emotions he had gone through in the past few days had left him drained, unable to properly process anything that came next. So many questions ran through his head that needed to be answered.

Even Penny and Collin Dunn waited, for once in the same room as each other after not speaking for months. Collin had known Hunter  for years now, being the one who shaped her into the marine she was and he wouldn't stand idle to watch her fade away. And Penny, she couldn't help but feel as if she could have prevented Hunter from leaving her house and in turn, kept her out of this hospital.

And Hunter, of course, she wasn't thinking anything as she laid unconscious on the operation table. A nurse steadily handing the surgeon each tool he asked for while another closely watched her blood pressure and heart rate, it showed her as bradycardic as her pulse kept slowing further. Each passing moment it seemed death had been closer to taking her, but she hadn't know. All she knew was what her brain let her see, all the memories she had, good and bad. While the hospital worked tirelessly to save her, she simply remembered her life.

𝙡𝙚𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤𝙬𝙣. Evan Buckley ²On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara