eight

LET YOU DOWNchapter eight

LET YOU DOWN
chapter eight.

"NO, TOMORROW DOESN'T WORK," Hunter groaned from her side of the phone

"NO, TOMORROW DOESN'T WORK," Hunter groaned from her side of the phone. Rubbing a hand over her tired and lifeless face she continued, "it'll have to be the tenth of eleventh- that's the soonest I can get down to Texas."

Alexa watched with sympathy as her best friend had to plan her brother'd funeral. "Well, I don't know what the fuck you want me to tell you-" Alexa couldn't hear the other end of the phone call but figured it wasn't going to well. Hunter grew more and more flustered as the Army was hard to work with when planning a funeral.

"Yes, sir, I understand that. But the plot and church is already picked out, you don't need to do that." The more Hunter began enunciation her words the more clear her frustration became.

Hunter hung up without a goodbye, pouring her a coffee she didn't even look back at Alexa as she said, "God, it's like working with a child- I don't need them to tell me what I want."

"They are just trying to help, Hunter," Alexa tried to reason as the blonde fell into the arm chair.

"Yeah, where were they at when Cody's company was getting shot at?" she snapped, "I don't care what the Army tries to do now because it isn't going to fix shit."

Alexa sighed with a frown. It seemed Hunter had already made it past the denial stage of grief and skipped straight to anger. Hunter knew there was a possibility that her brother wouldn't come home one day, she had long since prepared herself from that somber knock on her door. But accepting the possibility and accepting the reality are two very different things.

"You get to be upset-"

"Fuck yeah, I do," Hunter scoffed, "I'm allowed to be pissed my brother is dead."

"You're also allowed to be sad," Alexa softly said, leaning forward to look at Hunter closely, "It's not a bad thing to cry."

Hunter shook her head, "I already did enough crying last night, it's not helping anybody."