forty

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter forty.

THE LEATHER SOLES OF Hunter's boots scuffed against the concrete before she diverted into the grass

THE LEATHER SOLES OF Hunter's boots scuffed against the concrete before she diverted into the grass. She kept her head down, the bill of her white cowpoke trucker hat kept the beating sun off of her face. Her right hand gripped the floral arrangement of sunflowers tightly while her other fiddled with her truck keys.

She stopped her feet in front of the familiar marble headstone, moving to sit on the grass before gently laying the flowers down. If Lane had been there, he would have made a passing comment about the smell of southern comfort on her breath— but he wasn't there.

The blonde swallowed hard, Hunter hadn't visited Lane since she had first left the hospital a few months ago and even then, she wasn't in a clear headspace. Truth be told, her head was far from clear now. The Callahan wanted to visit him more, it's the least he earned. She had spent so much time running from his memory and the thought of his death that she often forget that he deserved better than being avoided out of guilt.

"I didn't expect to see you here."

The rough voice caused Hunter to snap her head up in surprise. She had heard the footsteps approaching but when she had looked, the man didn't seem recognizable at first. Now as she glanced up at his face, the fan of his skin glistening in the sun, Hunter gave him a grim smile.

"Mr. Dunn," she nodded, taking of her hat out of respect for the man, "can't say I thought I'd run into you either."

"Penny and I've been coming here more often," he admitted, moving to sit down next to Hunter as she placed her hat back upon her head. The man pulled a pack of cigarettes from his jeans and offered a singular one to Hunter.

The Callahan glanced over at him, "you two back together, huh?" She asked as she took the Marlboro between her fingers and waited for him to light it. The Dunn shrugged with a nod as he leaned back.

"Guess we got you to thank for getting us in the same room again," he joked. Hunter shook her head with a somber chuckle.

"I reckon that's one way to get it done," she muttered out, blowing a puff of smoke from her lips, "I'd give anything to be in the same room with him again."