twenty three

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
chapter twenty three.

"YOU READY TO DO THIS?"

Hunter nodded her head in response to the question presented by Kyle Dobbs. Leaning against her truck, she watched as Kyle shut the door of his rental car. "Where's Miranda?"

"On a plane... far away from this shit show," he answered, electing not to disclose her destination out of fear for her safety.

"Probably for the best," Hunter agreed, beginning to walk towards the entrance of Johnson and Hardwell's Storage Units, "she's not like us."

Hunter had quietly risen from that couch that she had shared with Buck that morning in Eddie's living room and slipped out unnoticeably as the man continued to sleep peacefully in the morning light.

"And what is she?" Kyle asked.

"Too innocent," Hunter answered, her eyes glancing over at the man next to her. Miranda was uncorrupted even after the horrors she had witnessed as a Sergeant in the Marines. Too pure and kind hearted to engage in a hunt for a ghost sniper around the city of LA. Besides, this wasn't her fight. Solotov wasn't hunting her. He was hunting Dobbs and Callahan.

Kyle nodded, reaching to open to door of the front office and allowed the blonde to walk in first. She pulled the keys out of her pocket and looked down at them, there was no unit number however a very distinctive written code, almost like a serial number, was on the key itself.

Hunter plastered a fake smile on her face as she looked at the young man working the front desk, easily ten years younger than her. "Hi, hon, I was wondering if you could help me find this storage unit..." she began to trail off, a lie sitting on her tongue as her eyes turned sad, "my father left these keys in his office and I found them after he passed, but he wasn't smart enough to leave the unit number."

"Well, dad's mind wasn't always in the right place those last couple years, but we were wondering if you could look up that number on the key," Kyle jumped in, placing a comforting hand on the arm of the woman he pretended to be his sister.