thirty eight

LET YOU DOWN

LET YOU DOWN.
thirty eight.

THE LONESOME SOUND OF the heel of Hunter's boots tapping against the hard wood floors echoed loudly through the empty room

THE LONESOME SOUND OF the heel of Hunter's boots tapping against the hard wood floors echoed loudly through the empty room. Her hands dangled between her knees as she leaned forward in the seat, her blue eyes shifted around slowly, almost as if she was tired. Maybe she was, not necessarily physically though.

"Are you new here?"

Hunter's head snapped up to look at the uniformly dressed man standing mere feet away from her. She should have heard him walking up but yet she didn't catch the sounds of his approaching footsteps. She already had enough to deal with and the ransom that was being cyberily held over LA's head didn't help her stress.

"To LA or this pew?" Hunter asked, gesturing around to the rows of empty wooden pews that lined the church.

The man, the pastor, moved to slide into the open spot next to Hunter, "Either or," he answered, letting her chose the direction of the conversation.

Hunter sat back, her shoulders slumping as she leaned against the back of the pew, "not new in LA anymore, haven't been in a church... since I don't know when."

The Southern Baptists in her family would be disappointed to hear that from her, her grandmother would be ashamed. In her defense, Sydney Callahan wasn't a Sunday type and her father wasn't necessarily around to take his children. The last time Hunter had been in her church was with Cody.

"Can I ask why?" The graying haired man asked curiously.

Hunter shrugged, bringing a hand up to her neck to play with the dog tags that sat there along with the chained engagement ring. "I figured the man... up there could listen to me," Hunter frowned as she waved a finger, pointing to the sky, "I was forced to talk to one man I don't know about my life this week, figured I'd talk to another man I don't know," she said, referencing Doctor Bailey.

The pastor nodded, staying quiet as Hunter sighed before continuing, "I prayed for the first time in years the other day— well a few months ago," hunter clarified, thinking back to the moment in which she prayed to god for a sliver of help.