Chapter fourteen

I woke up feeling groggy. My head was pounding slightly. When I sat up, I felt pain in my side, and I grunted, lifting my shirt up and gasped at the purple and blue bruise on my side.

Oh my God! How hard did my mother kick me?!

But after that, everything was a blur. All I felt was numbness.

Yesterday was the worst day ever! From the creepy man, Aiden goes out with Hayley, not to mention the stupid seeing ghost, the group of girls, and Damon.

I frowned, I felt hurt he was watching me get tormented by the girls. Why did he just watch like that? Did he watch when the old man was about to assault me?

Then I remembered my mother, then only bits after that, I remembered getting surrounded by evil ghosts and then bumping into Damon.

I gasped, Damon, I yelled at Damon while we were getting surrounded and thought he would watch me get eaten.

But I'm okay?

I remembered opening my eyes to him carrying me... he took me back home?

But why?

I turned my head seeing a ripped piece of paper near my night light, I grabbed it and couldn't help but smile at his bad writing. I mean, I give him credit for trying. He is a Demon, after all, not a human. He's learning.

But I just don't get it. He shouldn't have feelings or the urge to help me... I'm so confused.

I grunted, getting up, thinking, "Why am I feeling he's being nice?" He probably doesn't want me to die yet.

I could bearley move as I got up I instantly sat back on the bed.

There is no way I can go to school in this condition. The pain is unbearable, and everyone would be questioning it, and I can't afford them calling home.

I laid back in bed, looking at my phone, realizing school started ten minutes ago and had five missed calls from Bella asking where I was and that if I was okay.

I called the school.

"Hi, it's Katie Rose, My mother isn't well and asleep, so I'm calling up to say I can't come to school today we both court the flu, I actually not long woke up and can't get out of bed...... yes, and also, I have detention this afternoon. Can you let me know that Taylor knows I'll go tomorrow after school.... yes, no worries, thank you so much.... bye,"

I ended the call feeling relief, I rolled over to my not painful side, trying to get comfortable, and instantly went back to sleep with the piece of paper still in my hand.

*

"No!" I shouted, shooting up feeling pain in my side and instantly grunted.

"Hey, you okay? What's wrong with your side?" I heard a fomiliar voice.

It was Bella coming over to me, and my eyes landed on Damon sitting in the corner, then quickly looked back at Bella.

I nodded, rubbing my temple, "Just a nightmare, God, I have the worst headache," I said, ignoring her second question.

"Katie," Bella said, crossing her arms, "who hurt you?"

"I don't want to talk about it Bella please, I got the worst migrain," I complained.

"Here, I figured you need these,"

She gave me painkillers and a cup of water, which I gladly took, drinking all the water in one go.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"It's afternoon, 4 o'clock," she said, looking at her watch.

My eyes widened, "you need to leave before my mum wakes up," I looked and saw a sandwich and an apple on the side of my bed.

"Did you make me food?" I asked, and she stuck her head.

"Your mum did," she said, looking just as confused.

"Wait.. what?"

She's a drunk with the only emotion is anger, the last time she made me food was years ago.

She shrugged, "she greeted me at the door, offered me sandwiches, and asked me to bring this to your room, she seems... better,"

How is that possible?! What the hell.

I looked over at Damon, and he sat there staring at me, giving me chills. I'm starting to get used to.

"I got to go though, my mum is waiting to pick me up, Damon is here if you need anything, rest up, call if you need me,"

I nodded, and she gave me a weak smile, waved bye to Damon, and left the door shutting the door.

The room was silent, I wrapped my arms around myself, looking over at Damon, who still had his eyes on me, sending me chills.

"What are you doing here, Damon? don't you have a place you can go to?"

He looked away, "No,"

I felt bad for him. He doesn't have a home? He wouldn't have family as he's a Demon.

My thoughts got interrupted when the door opened, and my mum came in with a weak smile.

I was God smacked. She didn't look menacing anymore. She did look better. She still had bags under her eyes, her hair a lot neater and she's wearing clean clothes with a night grown.

"Hey honey, you feeling better? Bella told me you didn't go to school, you sick?" She asked,

I didn't know what to do. For so long, she had always been nasty and selfish. She seems like herself, like how she was when I was little. I felt tears in my eyes.

Damon stood up with his hands in his pocket, still staying in the corner.

My brain couldn't process words, I felt uncomfortable for her to be in the same room with me, and strangely, I think Damon can feel it as he looked protective?

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry -"

"Don't," I said, raising my hand up, but I cringed in pain.

"Darling, what's wrong? Are you in pain? What happened?"

"You! that's what happened!" I yelled, and my mum stepped back hurt.

"W-what?"

"Don't you remember? You threw me on the ground and kicked me. You hurt me really bad!" I couldn't stop the tears. They were flowing out.

Why was she back to herself? What happened?

She had tears, "darling, I'm so sorry, please let me call a doctor,"

"No, I don't need your help. For years, I've been on my own. You were a nightmare! I don't want anything from you! I can take care of myself, I have been for years now,"

My sadness turned into rage, I needed to get out, and I needed to get away from her.

"Damon, get me out of here," I said, and he immediately was by my side, carefully lifted me up, and I still held the little piece of paper in my hand.

Then he took me out of the room and out the house,

I couldn't do it anymore, now she cared? Now she wants to be a mum again? What changed? Why did she suddenly care all of a sudden? No one cared about me but Bella.

And Damon? That's if it's not an act, so I can't fully put my faith in him yet. But at least he's helping me get away.

I leaned into Damon's chest, sobbing, feeling my heart break into tiny little piece.

I'm broken because of her and because of dad.

I wished I was never born.