30

Elle's 18th Birthday

"Happy Birthday to you," My mom enters my room, singing softly as I slowly wake up. "Happy Birthday to you.."

I sit up and rub my eyes and smile when I see my mom standing there holding a donut with a candle in the center. "Mom.."

"Happy birthday dear Elle, happy birthday to you." She smiles, "Good morning birthday girl."

I blow out the candle and take a bite of the donut. "Good morning mom."

"Your party starts at three. I invited your friends and a few of your cousins, alright?"

I nod, "Sounds good."

I can't help but frown when my mother leaves my room. She told me last night that Regina isn't able to fly back home in time for my birthday.. which I completely understand. It's her first year of college and she's the whole way across the US, there's no way she would be able to.

So I pull myself out of bed and go get dressed in a simple jeans and a plain t-shirt before heading downstairs.
___

"Happy birthday!!!" Janis exclaims as she hugs me tightly. "You're finally an adult!"

"Big eighteen, Elle. How do you feel?" Damien smiles and squeezes my shoulder.

I let them in and introduce them to everyone.. well, just my two cousins Quinn, who is thirteen, and Jacob, who is twenty.

When Damien sees Jacob, he immediately grabs my arm and whispers. "Who is that man and is he gay?"

I laugh and nod. "That's my cousin Jacob and he's been gay since birth."

"I'll be right back." Damien wiggles his eyebrows at me before walking over to my cousin to make conversation.

"So, I heard Regina can't come?" Janis says as we sit down on the couch together.

"That's a bummer, I wanted to meet her." Quinn grumbles. "She looks so pretty in all of the photos you showed me."

"She's beautiful. But unfortunately she can't make it.. I haven't even heard from her at all today." I say with a slight pout but I shake off my emotions when my mom walks into the living room holding her keys.

"Hey sweetheart, I have to run to the bakery to pick up your cake. Does anyone want to come with me?"

Janis grins and gets up from the couch. "I'll come!"

"I can go-" I try to say but I'm cut off by my mom.

"I only have room for one person in my car, sorry Elle. I love you, we will be back soon!" She rushes her words and practically runs out the door with Janis following right behind her.

"That was weird." I say to Quinn.

"Our whole family is weird. Your friend fits right in." Quinn says as she scrolls through her phone.

I giggle and leave the room to go find Damien and Jacob. They're in the kitchen chatting with Cady and Aaron.

"Hey guys."