16

It's prom day and to say I feel uncomfortable is an extreme understatement.

My belt feels a little too tight, the collar of my suit jacket is rubbing against my neck too much, and my socks are itchy.

I'm standing at the bottom of the staircase inside of Regina's house as I wait for her to come down. Janis, Natalie, Damien, Cady, and Aaron are all waiting down here with me. Regina's mom keeps offering us snacks but we keep denying, wanting to save room for the dinner that awaits us.

"Regina let's go!" Janis shouts. I shove her.

"I'm coming!" Regina shouts back.

A few minutes later, Gretchen and Karen come downstairs wearing pink dresses. They look beautiful.. but then Regina comes down and my jaw drops.

"Wow.." I mutter under my breath.

She descends the steps one at a time in a beautiful, silk, red dress that hugs her body in a way that's angelic. She wears white heels on her feet and some red and white makeup. She looks unreal.

Ethereal.

"Wow.." I say again as I meet her at the bottom of the steps.

"You look amazing, baby." She winks and pecks my lips, careful to not mess up her lipstick.

"You are absolutely stunning, Regina." I grin and look her over once more before I slip the corsage onto her wrist.

Regina blushes and takes my hand. Her mom takes multiple photos of us and our friends, I make her send every single one to me, wanting to remember this night forever.

When we arrive to the dance, all eyes immediately turn to us. Even though the plastics aren't necessary plastics anymore, everyone still bows down to Regina, Karen, and Gretchen. It isn't as bad, they're treated like humans now, but it's still odd.

"Junior prom!" Karen squeals. We all ditch our jackets and bags at the table with our name tags.

I try to take a seat but Regina grabs my hands and begins pulling me toward the dance floor. "Regina.."

"Cmon, have fun! I'm not letting you sit over there with Aaron all night." She grins. "Also.." Her arms rest around my shoulders and my hands find her hips. She leans in close and whispers in my ear. "The bathrooms have locks.. we can sneak away if you get uncomfortable."

I smirk and kiss her cheek, "As much as I'd love to sneak away with you, I want you to enjoy this dance. You aren't high off of pain killers this time."

Regina giggles and nods, "Okay."

"Okay?" I hum.

When Regina looks up at me, her eyes are full of lust. My jaw clenches and my hands tighten around her hips. She sees my reaction and bites her bottom lip. I glance at the bathroom, a girl walks out of it.

It's empty now.

"No." Regina says, grabbing my face and pushing our lips together. I pull her body tight against mine, wanting to desperately feel more of her.

"Ehem." Damien walks over. "We are still in a public space, are we not?" He smirks when I sigh.

"Damien." I say with an eye roll.

"Uh-Uh, don't scold me. I can sense the sexual tension coming from you two from way over at our table. I'm here to help." He smiles at Regina. "Reggie-"

"Don't call me Reggie." Regina says quickly.

"Gina-"

"Nope."

"Regina." He glances at me then back at her. "The bathroom is open if you go now. I'll distract the teachers so Elle can sneak in."

Regina smirks, obviously liking the idea. She smiles at me before kissing my lips and walking toward the bathroom, shutting the door behind herself.

"Alright, leave it to me." Damien clears his throat with a pause. A few seconds later, he dramatically points his finger at Shane O'man and gasps loudly, "He has drugs!"

I snort as I try to hide my laughter. All of the chaperones rush over to Shane and pull him out of the gymnasium. I go into the bathroom.

"About time." Regina mumbles as she slams her lips against mine, reaching behind me to lock the door.

"Sorry." I mumble against her mouth.

"What took you so long?" She breathes heavily as I begin kissing her neck.

"Damien's distraction was quite funny." I smirk and kiss her again.

"What was it?" She asks quickly, unbuttoning my suit jacket.

"Shane O'man has drugs." I start to laugh again but Regina takes a step back and looks at me as if I just shot a puppy.

"What?"

"Why is that a bad thing? I.. I thought we hated him." I defend myself.

"You hate him. He's still my friend, Elle."

I scoff and cross my arms, "Whatever. I'm not arguing with you over some boy, Regina."

"He's my friend, Elle! Of course I am going to stand up for him when someone says something bad about-"

"But I am your girlfriend, Regina!" I say loudly. "God, why can't you just be there for me!"

"Why can't you be there for me!" She shouts back. "I know you don't like Shane but I have known him much longer than I've known you."

My jaw drops. "So you're going to choose some random guy you fucked over me?"

"I never said I was choosing him over you."

"You implied it." I say softly, noticing she's not making eye contact. I'm right. "You.. You would choose him over me.."

"Elle..." Regina reaches for me but I shove her hand away.

"No." I shake my head, "Go have him, Regina. I'm done, we're done."

"Elle, come on."

"I'm going home."

"Elle, baby, this is stupid." She says, reaching for me again. "Let's just forget this argument ever happened."

"Regina." I say sternly. "You aren't happy with me. You aren't comfortable with me. For fuck sake, we came into a bathroom to kiss each other!" I sigh and take her hand, "I love you.. but you don't love me. Go be happy with someone that you can be yourself with. Be with Shane so you can be in public with him without looking to see how people react."

Regina's eyes fill with tears, "I don't want to be with Shane, I want to be with you." She sniffles, "Please don't leave me.."

I frown. "I'm sorry.." I walk out of the bathroom.